Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first and foremost, I have to say my skiff (2005 Maverick HPX-V 17) is in great shape, particularly for its age. I’m very meticulous so it shows.

That being said, I find myself wanting to restore it and got on the books at the Skiff Shop. The work there just blows my mind, but we all know it’s big big money. Looking to do a full restoration of the gelcoat and running surface (repairing cracks, scratches, chips, and any blemishes) inside and out, new non-skid, delete the flip up push pole holders and add modern ones, delete the flip up nav light and add Livorsis, completely restore the hatches, seals, and hardware, new plumbing, full rewire, new console hatch and custom switch panel. The whole ordeal. And obviously confirm structural integrity and fuel system. It’s going to be almost as much as I have in the skiff $$ wise. Motor is a 2019 with around 500 hours (was a well cared for guide boat before I got it…I barely put 50-100/year on a boat). Just put on new electronics and trolling motor in the last year.

My friends and wife think I’m crazy and should just leave as is or buy a new skiff…but I’m kind of attached to this thing. Am I crazy? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You don't say how long you are planning to keep it. If you are going to sell it within a few years, the potential new buyer probably won't be that impressed with all the restore work and thus not be willing to pay a premium over another similar skiff. If you are going to keep this thing for 5-10 years , I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't say how long you are planning to keep it. If you are going to sell it within a few years, the potential new buyer probably won't be that impressed with all the restore work and thus not be willing to pay a premium over another similar skiff. If you are going to keep this thing for 5-10 years , I'd say go for it.
The plan is to keep it. But we all know how plans go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Put a new tank in while you're at it with all new gas lines etc. If you're going that deep, why leave the original tank? Aluminum tanks fail, and you'd be super bummed 5 years after your restoration if you had to rip apart the boat again. Do it once, do it right. Your boat will be as good as new. If you like the boat, why not keep it and make it perfect.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a new tank in while you're at it with all new gas lines etc. If you're going that deep, why leave the original tank? Aluminum tanks fail, and you'd be super bummed 5 years after your restoration if you had to rip apart the boat again. Do it once, do it right. Your boat will be as good as new. If you like the boat, why not keep it and make it perfect.
I don't think the tank is original, but it's definitely on the list to inspect/test it at the very least.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking.. aluminum tanks are good until they're not. All a pressure test will tell you is if it's currently bad or not. Trust me.. as someone who's in the throws of replacing tanks on a 28ft CC.. just do it while you're in there and updating every other thing. It shouldn't add to the cost considerably, because the price tag will be up there for everything else anyway.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly what I was thinking.. aluminum tanks are good until they're not. All a pressure test will tell you is if it's currently bad or not. Trust me.. as someone who's in the throws of replacing tanks on a 28ft CC.. just do it while you're in there and updating every other thing. It shouldn't add to the cost considerably, because the price tag will be up there for everything else anyway.
yeah I’m definitely not opposed

·
Panhandler
3,469 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but another shop option would be Mike's Marine Ways in St. Marks, FL. Mike and his crew have done a few jobs for me (and many others in the Big Bend) and the work is top notch. Mike also restored a Maverick for personal use, so he knows the brand.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
557 Posts
What is the cost of the overhaul/restoration compared to a brand new 17 HPX-V? What motor do you have on it? Totally understand the feeling of attachment as we probably all do. But, what is your perception when you are scrolling through classified ads (as we all do also) and you see a restored 2005 boat vs. a 2021 boat? You don't care how great the restoration is, you expect 50% or less on the asking price, at least I do. I promise you could also become just as attached to a new Maverick, so to me it all comes down to the financial decision (throw your emotions out the door.) What does it cost and what is it worth to you to have a fully restored badass 2005 Maverick vs. what does it cost and what is it worth to you to have a badass 2022 Maverick?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the cost of the overhaul/restoration compared to a brand new 17 HPX-V? What motor do you have on it? Totally understand the feeling of attachment as we probably all do. But, what is your perception when you are scrolling through classified ads (as we all do also) and you see a restored 2005 boat vs. a 2021 boat? You don't care how great the restoration is, you expect 50% or less on the asking price, at least I do. I promise you could also become just as attached to a new Maverick, so to me it all comes down to the financial decision (throw your emotions out the door.) What does it cost and what is it worth to you to have a fully restored badass 2005 Maverick vs. what does it cost and what is it worth to you to have a badass 2022 Maverick?
A new Maverick is around $80K with no electronics or trolling motor. Any new high end skiff right now is pushing $70-$80K. Part of my motivation. I’ve also had multiple reputable restoration guys tell me the older ones are built better than the new ones.

My motor is a 2019 Yamaha 115 SHO

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,335 Posts
So first and foremost, I have to say my skiff (2005 Maverick HPX-V 17) is in great shape, particularly for its age. I’m very meticulous so it shows.

That being said, I find myself wanting to restore it and got on the books at the Skiff Shop. The work there just blows my mind, but we all know it’s big big money. Looking to do a full restoration of the gelcoat and running surface (repairing cracks, scratches, chips, and any blemishes) inside and out, new non-skid, delete the flip up push pole holders and add modern ones, delete the flip up nav light and add Livorsis, completely restore the hatches, seals, and hardware, new plumbing, full rewire, new console hatch and custom switch panel. The whole ordeal. And obviously confirm structural integrity and fuel system. It’s going to be almost as much as I have in the skiff $$ wise. Motor is a 2019 with around 500 hours (was a well cared for guide boat before I got it…I barely put 50-100/year on a boat). Just put on new electronics and trolling motor in the last year.

My friends and wife think I’m crazy and should just leave as is or buy a new skiff…but I’m kind of attached to this thing. Am I crazy? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes
Or
No

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,045 Posts
Go for it! I will be restoring my 2000 Maverick in the next couple of years. The tank in mine is original and no issues at all so either I got a good one or am just lucky. It was made by TNT Fabrication in Florida, yours is 5 years older so Maverick may have been using the same tank fabricator.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts