Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to mount a motor to my Conchfish and I’m thinking about sleeping the transom with a thin piece of aluminum to keep the clamps and bolts from digging into the transom over time. Would I be fine with just a regular motor strap behind the two top bolt holes? Any idea where I can get a sleeve like the picture that goes over the back as well?

8869A383-64FB-49A0-9735-3DEE171B91BB.jpeg

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am planning on a 12x10" 12 gauge aluminum plate for the exterior of the transom I will clamp it in some 2x4's so I can bend similar to the above picture. 10x10.5" rear mounting surface 1.5" of aluminum covering the top of the transom. I will use this on the outside ,opposite of the picture, to help cut down on exterior damage and I will then use big aluminum motor straps for the interior made from 1/4" x2.5" aluminum bar.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m thinking a piece of black 1/2” starboard on the back and just a strap across the top bolts on the front should do it. Does anyone have any leftover black starboard laying around?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Really all you need is the large cast aluminum bar in picture. The piece of stainless is useless. You could however use ABS plastic. Cheap and easy to heat, bend and the trim. Smacks idea is a great one. I do the same thing mounting TVS to a block wall covered by drywall. Let’s you put Tapcon anywhere and a sleeve the depth of drywall to block prevents crushing drywall.
I see you’re in NSB. I’m in Edgewater and have a sheet of plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts