Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, dont post here much but do a lot of reading. Wanted to get yall to throw around some ideas on the trailer topic.

Im looking to get another trailer for my Dolphin 16 Super Skiff. Not sure if I want to hunt down a used one that is in good shape and fit it to the 16 SS or if I want to get a new trailer built. Im located in Beaufort, NC and do not know of any manufactures near me as i just moved up here. Just the big manufactures: Ameratrail, McClain, Ramlin etc. that are down in FL (where im from) and TX. Any one know of any aluminum trailer builders up this way?

I would like something that will be as "dry launch" as possible. I know that the dry launch term can be kind of a loaded topic but the idea of having the boat sit closer to the ground on the trailer then normal is a good thing in my opinion and I think that is really what you get with a "dry launch" trailer. Helps with load/unload gear, working on the boat, and reducing how much trailer actually gets wet when you launch/load (you are always going to get a little salt water on the trailer no matter what lets be real here lol).

I have seen some pretty sweet trailers from my searches on here and just in general. What are you guys that have Super Skiffs doing for your trailers? Would love to see some pictures of yalls set ups, whether its a dry launch or not.

On a side note, I read through TigWeld's post on the trailer he built. That was a great thread. He built a sweet trailer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I’m pleased with my aluminum Float On trailer. I think it was just under $2K. I’m not sure they have a dealer network but would be worth a call. Otherwise....why not do a road trip (Vero Beach). I’d suggest it’s worth the drive to get a quality trailer. Good luck.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
I would suggest doing one of two options: Buy a new trailer from the list you mentioned or get a cheaper trailer and modify it. I did the latter and built most of my stuff (fenders, lights, license holder) custom. I also am pretty sure I am lower than the Ramlins and the Ameritrailers. Dry launching is great, I'm not as concerned with the hubs dying when I was dunking them consistently.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Expand your search...I am new up here too but I have seen several nice alum. trailers under locally built boats ...try calling bullbay boats etc.....

there are some pretty high drive ways etc up here...I like clearance

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@topnative2 Do you know of anyone like Ameratrail or the other big names up this way? To me the local builders are just putting them on a simple aluminum Load Rite or aluminum Magic Tilt. Nothing wrong with those two brands, I was just wanting to see if anyone knew of a more "Custom" trailer builder up like Ameratrail or Ramlin Etc. in this area.

·
Bait Hater
585 Posts
@topnative2 Do you know of anyone like Ameratrail or the other big names up this way? To me the local builders are just putting them on a simple aluminum Load Rite or aluminum Magic Tilt. Nothing wrong with those two brands, I was just wanting to see if anyone knew of a more "Custom" trailer builder up like Ameratrail or Ramlin Etc. in this area.
Everyone knows the best builders (boats, trailers, fly reels, etc.) are located in FL

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
nope and I am out of town tr. now

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
Just go to the local guys and tell them to put the expensive part on their trailers and you will have the custom trailer your looking for.

The aluminum is the same for all of them (6061) and is about $13 a foot. The raw materials cost all of the builders the same, it's the components that vary in cost.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
463 Posts
Wesco trailers are built in Columbia, SC and have a pretty decent reputation. May be worth checking into

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an 02 super skiff on a galvanized Ram-lin whipray trailer, just had to move the post forward about six inches, fits like a glove. I would call them, they have built trailers for specifically for super skiffs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts