Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sherwin Williams has a tiered pricing system.
level A,B,C,D with D being the lowest pricing and a being retail.

If you can talk them into B or C then your doing good, D is usually for the big volume customer, employees or friends.

Talk to a manager and see what you can get. They will move on price with in reason.

You will get better info on the KEM 400 and other industrial paints from one of the Chemical Coatings stores. Not your local SW.

Took that from some forum post. Seems the price I find is 50- 110 dollars online for basic colors. I did find a place with paint for for 79 click to order in earth shades. I'll post it below, but the redleg camo site even gives a sw number to call and sounds like they already have it all setup and know what they are talking about!

If you need your paint kit quick, please call 501-375-7203 to order direct from Sherwin Williams Little Rock, AR. Paint kits ships directly from Sherwin Williams in Little Rock, AR via fedex ground.

As for me, I will start welding my hull seams when I can find the time, finished out my tunnel and pipe fitting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Sherwin Williams has a tiered pricing system.
level A,B,C,D with D being the lowest pricing and a being retail.

If you can talk them into B or C then your doing good, D is usually for the big volume customer, employees or friends.

Talk to a manager and see what you can get. They will move on price with in reason.

You will get better info on the KEM 400 and other industrial paints from one of the Chemical Coatings stores. Not your local SW.

Took that from some forum post. Seems the price I find is 50- 110 dollars online for basic colors. I did find a place with paint for for 79 click to order in earth shades. I'll post it below, but the redleg camo site even gives a sw number to call and sounds like they already have it all setup and know what they are talking about!

If you need your paint kit quick, please call 501-375-7203 to order direct from Sherwin Williams Little Rock, AR. Paint kits ships directly from Sherwin Williams in Little Rock, AR via fedex ground.

As for me, I will start welding my hull seams when I can find the time, finished out my tunnel and pipe fitting.
I've got a local painter who lets me order under their account so it'll save me like 30$ per gallon. Going to just get the offwhite and have them tint it in house.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I didn't make it nearly as far this weekend as I hoped I would, but still made some progress. I've got my livewell/dry storage boxes in. Also got my gas tank cut out and ready to clean up/weld. Getting dangerously close to finishing up the welding on this thing. After the gas tank I gotta knock out some lids and the console. Then lots of sanding/smoothing out getting ready for paint.
Wood Rectangle Asphalt Composite material Automotive exterior

The boxes themselves are slightly smaller than the outside of the drip rail, so now all I gotta do is drill a couple small holes in the very outer edge of the channel and the water will drain outside the box and into the bottom of the hull hopefully keeping my boxes fairly dry.

Wood Rectangle Road surface Stairs Composite material

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's what i've been trying to find, been on the phone with some SW people today but having a hard time getting answers. Does that wash primer also Etch? Or do I need to use a separate etching product before hand? Also, how does the paint hold up without the clear? I was thinking of using the Acrylic modifier in the top coat enamel. Have you ever messed with it?

Just shot you back a message. However, the majority of what I painted I did not use the top coat. I kept it as a "flat" Finish. It held up great, and most of the guys were duck hunters and put their boats to the test! The primer does etch as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Well, looks like kem400 is out of the running. They aren't making it apparently right now due to shortages. They can get the SherKem though. Anyone have experience with this paint?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Paint and nonskid is purchased. Went with Sherwin Williams etching wash primer and sher-kem topcoat along with the hardener. Non skid is going to be Total boats brand in light grey. Top color is the hull paint and bottom is the nonskid. I know the darker color is going to get a bit warm, but almost the entire top of the boat will be covered in the lighter non skid so hopefully that keeps it from being crazy hot. Total paint cost should end up around 350$ so not too bad at all, hopefully it holds up decently. I'm going to do a test piece, may have the top coat lightened up a little if it ends up being extra dark.
Rectangle Tints and shades Slope Pattern Horizon

·
Registered
143 Posts
Paint and nonskid is purchased. Went with Sherwin Williams etching wash primer and sher-kem topcoat along with the hardener. Non skid is going to be Total boats brand in light grey. Top color is the hull paint and bottom is the nonskid. I know the darker color is going to get a bit warm, but almost the entire top of the boat will be covered in the lighter non skid so hopefully that keeps it from being crazy hot. Total paint cost should end up around 350$ so not too bad at all, hopefully it holds up decently. I'm going to do a test piece, may have the top coat lightened up a little if it ends up being extra dark.
View attachment 183440
Great color choices.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Got my tank finished off and got started on the console. I'm going to use some small pipe and put a border around the bottom and try and bend up a fancy upright or two. The plan is to have the console bolt in, that way I could always rip it out and go to a tiller later on if I wanted.
I thought about making it smaller and more low profile, and I certainly could have, but I hate the idea of my 6'4" self hunched over driving all the time.
Composite material Wood Gas Rectangle Asphalt

Asphalt Rectangle Floor Road surface Composite material

As you can see, I did a very official, to scale, layout of my controls and what not LOL. Precision engineering.
Wood Bumper Table Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thanks!

Well, After looking at more pics of various side consoles I have confirmed my feeling that mine is in fact larger than most lol. I know I wanna keep the height, but I think I may trim about 4" off the width of it to get a little smaller foot print. Undecided on the leaving the 3" landing at the top. .

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like the idea of making it narrower. Might leave the top flat about an inch so there is no sharp corner to fall against.

Your boat is gonna be wonderful

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Decided to do a test piece on the actual hull to get a better idea of shade. I just brushed it on to see what it looks like. I'll sand it off prior to the actual paint job. Making the drive tomorrow to pick up my trailer. Gonna put her on and see how she fits prior to painting.

Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Rectangle

·
Registered
143 Posts
Decided to do a test piece on the actual hull to get a better idea of shade. I just brushed it on to see what it looks like. I'll sand it off prior to the actual paint job. Making the drive tomorrow to pick up my trailer. Gonna put her on and see how she fits prior to painting.

View attachment 184184
Once you get it in the sun, I think it will lighten up a god bit as well. Appreciate all the updates and pics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Once you get it in the sun, I think it will lighten up a god bit as well. Appreciate all the updates and pics.
I'm trying to find a flattening agent or a low sheen clear coat to put over it. It's amazing how these shortages are hitting every industry right now.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts