Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I would wish they were wider than half inch. I think more contact area to the rod would be good for not marking the rod.
Agreed, I think 1" would be nice. . but 5$ in felt should make these work i think. I'm also much less concerned about marking a rod then i am about a rod breaking lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really liking the build, did you use a tube roller? The swag one with delrin? Also, are you going to buy or build the gas tank?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Really liking the build, did you use a tube roller? The swag one with delrin? Also, are you going to buy or build the gas tank?
I have a air/hydraulic jd2 bender with delrin dies. I will be building a 17-18 gallon tank for it. I’ve been building my own tanks for last 4 boats I think. Only boat I didn’t build one for was my airboat and that’s because it needed to be 85 gallons lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice, you need some new pics. You have motivated me to about 1.5h per day now, if I could only get to a full 2h, I could make some progress! Ha.

For rod holders, a maybe not so good idea I had was to use the shape you posted earlier but have two aluminum 6inch strips, stack them, hole saw with the bit overhanging the edge some to give you the lip profile, then unstack them, and weld a 1 inch strip along the curvy edge. Wordy but essentially recreating the starboard ones above but would be a hollow aluminum structure.

Also could just use the single piece and not stack, then weld a 1 inch piece so it is like a curvy t-bar edge, which is what I plan on doing. Then get some edge trim or guards instead of felt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I'd have new pictures IF i had actually done anything on the boat in the last week or so lol. Been too busy with paying jobs that are covering my trailer/rigging. I've thought about that for rod holders, wouldn't be too hard but honestly i just don't feel like spending 2 evenings on it lol. I want to have this thing on the water in 1.5 months so I can water test/tune it sufficiently before dragging it down to LA.

What are you building? This place seems to love build threads, you should start one.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Here's a rod holder idea. Sabine Skiff, all welded holders.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Figured I'd share some pictures of the powerplant. Picked up this 1989 yamaha 70 this summer. Bought it from the original owner, extremely well maintained up until about 2 years ago when he went to replace the thermostat and busted the housing. After that it sat outside for the last 2 years and collected dust.

In order to repair the busted thermostat housing I had to take off the exhaust cover, and of course all but one of the bolts snapped off. This was a freshwater motor, but some of the bolts used on these older Yamahas had very bad corrosion issues and the exhaust cover is the most notorious.

I then had to weld stainless nuts onto the little knobs that remained. Most bolts took 2-3 tries before I got down into good steel and it would hold. Some of them broke off 1/8"-1/4" down inside the hole. . .not fun to work on. Dont mind the dirty cylinders, this was after dousing everything with wd 40 for a week prior. They're actually very clean with zero wear marks, can still see the cross hatching.

Once I finished with the bolts I was able to actually complete the original problem which took maybe an hour tops. . ground down the old bosses where the thermostat bolted on and welded it all up and drilled and tapped new holes. After new gaskets and a water pump and she was ready to water test. Motor ran out great and still had really good/even compression. Its now sitting on a stand in the shop waiting to be painted. I should be all in on the motor at about 1k after paint and decals.

I'm finishing up my last customer job this weekend and then it's back onto the build. I've been ordering parts like crazy, should have almost everything I need at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great find and great motor. Should push that boat great and it’s light weight. What’s your plant for fuel at batteries? All up front?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I’m going to build a 17-18 gallon tank to go up front. And then run two batteries in the back with a yandina troll bridge 24 to power my 80# minn kota the little I run it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’m going to build a 17-18 gallon tank to go up front. And then run two batteries in the back with a yandina troll bridge 24 to power my 80# minn kota the little I run it.
Put the batteries as far front as possible as well, offset the motor and poler

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I finally got this customers boat finished up Saturday and the kids were at the grandparents house so I got several hours of work done on the boat this weekend. Unfortunately it didnt make for too exciting of pictures. Spent most of the time up under the front hatch welding and just welding out everything I had tacked into place which ended up being alot of stuff.

I got the spray rail fully welded out, once I flip the boat and weld some stringers on the inside of the rail i'll come back and completely smooth out the outside. Speaking of spray rails, my rub rail came in. Still can't believe how expensive a rubber strip is, but it is what it is. . should look good assembled.

I also got the main support for the rod holders in place. This is where my nylon rod holder assembly will bolt to. I'm going to hold 3 fly rods on the left side and 3 spinning rods on the right in front of the console. These uprights should also help keep the sides nice and rigid and since they fit up under the walkarounds they stiffen those up quite a bit too.

I finally got around to boxing in where the motor mounts so it has a much more finished look to it.

Next step is adding the channel to the back hatch and the hatch in the front deck. Then building the storage inserts to drop into for the livewell and dry box.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Got some more work done last night. I finally got around to welding up all the deck seams and adding in a couple of the drip rails for my hatches. I sunk them around 1/4" under flush so that when i put my rubber seal around the rail it should close with a decent amount of compression and hopefully stay mostly dry. Still gotta add my drains to these two trays but that'll be easy later on. Next is building my dry storage and livewell boxes. Hopefully my Monday update will have all the storage completed, console completed, and most of the rough blending/prep work done for painting.

Hood Automotive tire Naval architecture Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Rim

Automotive tire Road surface Automotive exterior Wood Bumper

Still haven't 100% decided on paints. Was leaning towards Totalboat yesterday, but now i'm doing some research on the SW industrial paints.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts
Got some more work done last night. I finally got around to welding up all the deck seams and adding in a couple of the drip rails for my hatches. I sunk them around 1/4" under flush so that when i put my rubber seal around the rail it should close with a decent amount of compression and hopefully stay mostly dry. Still gotta add my drains to these two trays but that'll be easy later on. Next is building my dry storage and livewell boxes. Hopefully my Monday update will have all the storage completed, console completed, and most of the rough blending/prep work done for painting.

View attachment 183051
View attachment 183052
View attachment 183053

Still haven't 100% decided on paints. Was leaning towards Totalboat yesterday, but now i'm doing some research on the SW industrial paints.
Have you spoken to Brian Little at Sabine to see what he uses on the Sabine Skiffs? It’s a nice coating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
coming along quickly, glad i havent let the wife see this swift progress! she would be mad at my slowness.

no interest in aluma hawk? i would think you have used it prior on boat builds, seems to last forever and ease of repair and repaint if needed. that may be my route (white/tan), unless you could convince me otherwise. i have seen plenty of ******** on youtube doing nicely finished duck boats with it under oak trees...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
I’ve actually never painted a boat before. I’ve always just left them bare lol. I’m planning to have it on the water in a month. That’ll give me a little time to find issues before dragging it to La the first of November.

How's your boat coming along?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I painted aluminum boats for years as a side business in Mississippi. Painted a lot of duck boats, skiffs, etc. Sherwin Williams Kem 400 is the way to go. They have a Wash Primer for aluminum that is a must. They also have a clear coat for Kem 400 as well, once applied it is as good as powder coating something. Very durable and good looking paint on aluminum. They can color match just about any color you would be interested in. All aluminum boat manufacturers that I have visted ( Gator trax, War Eagle, Xpress) have used Kem 400. To buy you will have to go through a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings division. If you have any questions on anything, Ill be glad to help how I can. You have an awesome build going and cant wait to see the finished product!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
I painted aluminum boats for years as a side business in Mississippi. Painted a lot of duck boats, skiffs, etc. Sherwin Williams Kem 400 is the way to go. They have a Wash Primer for aluminum that is a must. They also have a clear coat for Kem 400 as well, once applied it is as good as powder coating something. Very durable and good looking paint on aluminum. They can color match just about any color you would be interested in. All aluminum boat manufacturers that I have visted ( Gator trax, War Eagle, Xpress) have used Kem 400. To buy you will have to go through a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings division. If you have any questions on anything, Ill be glad to help how I can. You have an awesome build going and cant wait to see the finished product!!
That's what i've been trying to find, been on the phone with some SW people today but having a hard time getting answers. Does that wash primer also Etch? Or do I need to use a separate etching product before hand? Also, how does the paint hold up without the clear? I was thinking of using the Acrylic modifier in the top coat enamel. Have you ever messed with it?

61 - 80 of 103 Posts