Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My plan is to use turf for the poling platform and casting platform. As far as non skid I’m planning on just using the Awlgrip stuff that mixes in the paint. That way from 10’ away you can’t even tell it’s there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No more progress. Got probably 2 weeks of welding jobs to do for customers so this will take a back seat. I'm about to start ordering paint components though. My initial plan is to order some Awlgrip primer,paint, and non skid to spray. Cant decide between seafoam and whisper grey. I'm assuming they will both stay fairly cool in direct sunlight? Anyone have any thoughts on paint? i've never actually painted anything that I cared about looking really good, so this will be a first.
Just make sure to prep the raw aluminum correctly and use the right primer. Using a primer made for aluminum is key to getting the end topcoat to actually adhere to the boat. Do a couple test pieces with the non skid when you spray it. You can mix the additive into the paint heavier or lighter depending on the texture of non skid you want. Sometimes the manufacture recommendation is to light for my liking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My plan is to use turf for the poling platform and casting platform. As far as non skid I’m planning on just using the Awlgrip stuff that mixes in the paint. That way from 10’ away you can’t even tell it’s there.

A light gray would look great. Seafoam green is nice, but not for the nonskid. outside of the hull only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just make sure to prep the raw aluminum correctly and use the right primer. Using a primer made for aluminum is key to getting the end topcoat to actually adhere to the boat. Do a couple test pieces with the non skid when you spray it. You can mix the additive into the paint heavier or lighter depending on the texture of non skid you want. Sometimes the manufacture recommendation is to light for my liking.
Awlgrip has a primer they recommend for aluminum so that's what i'm planning on using. I'm HOPING I can just rub the whole thing down with scotchbrite. If that doesn't seem to scuff it up enough i guess i'll use some 200 grit sandpaper on my sander.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
A light gray would look great. Seafoam green is nice, but not for the nonskid. outside of the hull only.
I feel like light gray is just a good "safe" color. I know down on the coast there are a ton of seafoam boats, but not so many up here in middle Tn lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I feel like light gray is just a good "safe" color. I know down on the coast there are a ton of seafoam boats, but not so many up here in middle Tn lol.
Yep, your right no that. I just feel like seafoam is to bright for the inside of a boat. but i guess that's personal taste. I would go seafoam on the outside and Ivory/Tan/ or off white on the inside.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Snuck a bit of work on the boat yesterday evening while I wait on material to show up for customers jobs. Finished the lip on the spray rail and added a few gussets for the walkarounds.

Anyone have suggestions for rod holders? I want to be able to hold 3 rods on the passenger side of the boat. Oh, i also got my trailer ordered. Exact same as my jet boat trailer, just 6" narrower to fit this thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well if the pro welder is ordering his trailer, I guess I will scrap my plans of making myself a homebuilt one...

Looking great! So I guess that is stud welding the deck to the floor square beams? Any major pro/con vs screws? I was thinking I'll hit a few things and need to pull the floor to patch at times later. But obviously you are skilled enough to cut a hole in the floor and patch a patch of a patch!

I like how th floor looks much cleaner and flat like that... now here I got shopping for stud welders???

Keep em coming!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well if the pro welder is ordering his trailer, I guess I will scrap my plans of making myself a homebuilt one...

Looking great! So I guess that is stud welding the deck to the floor square beams? Any major pro/con vs screws? I was thinking I'll hit a few things and need to pull the floor to patch at times later. But obviously you are skilled enough to cut a hole in the floor and patch a patch of a patch!

I like how th floor looks much cleaner and flat like that... now here I got shopping for stud welders???

Keep em coming!
I just didn’t feel like building one lol. And I can get a brand new galvanized trailer for under 2k through one of my connections so no real sense in building one either lol.
the flooring is plug welded down, just drill a bunch of 1/2” holes, hold it down to the braces and crank the welder up extra hot and fill in the holes. Pros-won’t rattle, cons- not easily removable lol. I don’t plan on hitting a ton with this boat so it’s not a big deal. My jet boat flooring is screwed down because it’s only a matter of time lol

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
163 Posts
Nice build and excellent skills. I'm bringing my tank to add a tunnel and lots of other mods in the next week or so. Wish I could do that myself. A man has to know his limitations.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I forgot to mention that if it were my build I would probably not paint the outside or bottom. Paint on the inside, decks, gunnal helps to cut glare which you appreciate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I forgot to mention that if it were my build I would probably not paint the outside or bottom. Paint on the inside, decks, gunnal helps to cut glare which you appreciate.
that’s interesting. When I took my bare aluminum boat a couple weeks ago I felt like it was probably scaring fish due to the glare.

·
Registered
163 Posts
that’s interesting. When I took my bare aluminum boat a couple weeks ago I felt like it was probably scaring fish due to the glare.
Certainly fish can see your boat regardless of its color. I've watched redfish casually swim under my boat in about 18" of water. For me paint on aluminum is primarily cosmetic. I'm sure there are coatings that slow oxidation but I'm not concerned. My boat has been used in fresh and salt since 1983 with no issues. Bottom and transom are 3/16 while the sides and top are 1/8. If I planned to let my boat sit in the water for extended periods of time (weeks) I would use some sort of paint.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would add fishing in crystal clear water might make some difference. Then you are left with which color to choose. I only worry about boat color, from a practical standpoint, as it relates to my duck hunting.

Clearly, paint as you see fit for your needs and enjoyment!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
raw aluminum dulls out over time. I've yet to see a used unpainted alum hull that is really shiny. maybe when new.
My boats run primarily in fresh water so it takes a long time to dull lol. Especially above the water line. i know i could use the acid cleaner but on my last 3 brand new aluminum boats i've held off as long as possible. Once you start using it you can't stop lol. They get filthy so fast after that first use.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
What's everyone think of these holders? i know they're probably not the nicest things in the world, but they seem easily mounted where I need them and i think they should work well enough for the 3 times a year my fly rods sit in them. Don't really feel like making some one-off creations.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would wish they were wider than half inch. I think more contact area to the rod would be good for not marking the rod.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts