Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I see a post about someone converting an aluminum hull to a flats boat it seems to be a jon boat conversion. The knocks on it are always the same wave slap, noise, sails in the wind, and it has to be poled in reverse. I'm looking at aluminum semi vees and there are some low profile semi vee hulls out there. Some of the lunds and older smoker craft hulls. So that would eliminate some of the sailing in the wind. I speculate that the wave slap is from waves catching under the bow of a jon boat so I'm guessing that most of that would be eliminated with the bow configuration of a semi vee. It seems that if I could keep the bow in contact with the water that poling it would be ok. Where I live a draft of 6" to 8" is more than enough for fly rodding carp and fine for the salt water flats up here on the south shore of long island. And Sound can be dampened. It won't be a Hells Bay, but all I'm looking for is a usable, functioning platform that won't kill my fishing. Any thoughts or experiences with Semi Vee Aluminum Hulls for this type of application?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,288 Posts
Here’s a link to the boat I modified several years ago and fished it a lot on the Texas coast. I poled this thing for miles and even sight cast some really big speckled trout from it. Don’t believe all you read and hear. If you were blindfolded and took a ride across the bay you would have never known you were in an aluminum boat. She still has mojo, my buddy Kelly fishes her in Louisiana several days a week. It was a progression of ideas that came together very nicely in my opinion. One member here has had many very good days on the bow and wading from Pole Dancer.
The build link is at the bottom.
9E3EAA3E-2AE5-471F-ADD3-A0F3A3E0C1E8.jpeg
709924AB-D174-4CFA-A005-3B5ABA33F02A.jpeg ECF39DD5-D067-4807-BB35-B9EA3C5A9727.jpeg View attachment 56726 30286E29-137F-48D1-8D67-B77D908CBB94.jpeg

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29768/

Attachments

·
Mostly Harmless
2,169 Posts
There is a Starcraft build on here within the last couple of days. It will work well for your purposes given that your expectations seem reasonable. You want to keep a good bit of weight forward to keep the bow down to keep it quiet.

Nate

·
Registered
87 Posts
Forgive the crumby pictures (I just ran out to the garage) but I've been fishing out of this thing for a few years now. Its a late 80s Sea Nymph 14M3. Semi-v, 0 deadrise on the rear 2/3. I bought it when I was living in Colorado, but it followed me out here when I moved to Florida. It has surprised me with how shallow it gets, and poles decently when standing on the rear bench. Nicer ride than a jon when cruising the ICW or bigger water with big boat wakes. Moves fast enough with the 15hp 2-stroke. I yearn for a fancy glass or kevlar boat but every time I hear the nails-on-the-chalkboard sound of my hull on a NE FL oyster bed; I am beyond grateful I don't have a big fancy skiff.
brxFPWdMSYqQpSnP3IMsyA.jpg
5PTXJvTHRcy3KhuO1lSBIA.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I have always had thought those might make a cheap alternative for what you are trying to do.

I think the rounded chine side are going to make it feel a bit more tippy especially if you are up top on a platform and an angler on a raised deck.

At least that’s my thoughts why the traditional flat bottom is used the most, but please prove me wrong!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'm thinking of. I have a 1448 Mod Vee Jon now, Removed the middle seat and decked it in as a bass boat. Sorry I don't have a picture handy. I put a 2004 25HP Suzuki 4 stroke on the back but its the 3 cyl. So it weighs a ton and lifted the bow at rest. To trim it out had to move the 24vt trolling batteries to the front third. I was hoping a 16' Semi Vee's weight after modding, ahead of the motor would even things out. The jon doesn't pole well with me and the motor on the back very well. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll try to find a pic.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I previously built a 2001 Weld-Craft 18x52* just the way I wanted it with tunnel, etc. Added poling platform, jack plate, cav plate, rubber floor to make it comfy and quiet, push pole holders, etc. Totally functional boat and yes, Ive put her within 10 feet of redfish at times. I had an ultra flat bottom, even more so than Smackdaddy:s. Ordered short gunnels at 19* to make it catch less wind and that was perfect. It can be done and alum boats are hard to beat, if they are welded and not riveted and well made. I highly recommend the Weld Craft brand and you can order just what you want. Much better hull than other brands, IMO.
Best,
Matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am truly embarrassed!! I must have deleted the one decent pic of my boat. Here's a shot the shows most of it. Put a poling platform on the front deck and I should be good to go then?
upload_2019-1-18_10-25-56.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found another Picture of my boat. See how the big three cylinder makes her squat. I think she'll do fine if I pole from the bow deck. Its a Dynasty 1448 with the center seat removed.
upload_2019-2-9_21-46-54.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. They were put on to accommodate two mini jon downriggers and an additional set of flat lines. I attached a pic. The mini jon clamps to the wide part just aft of the forward rod holder socket and there are two removable rod holders that fit into the sockets. The front one is a flat line troll and the aft one is for the rod on the downrigger ball. I used this boat on Champlain annually and it had to fit multiple purposes. I am a Bass fisherman first, but as I got older, I go with whats hot to enjoy the day. I built it with a little reveal to for the portable downrigger to grab and used CCA and Trex so it wouldn't rot.

upload_2019-2-10_12-32-37.jpeg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts