Aluminum Jon Deck

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by cpauly33, Mar 19, 2011.

1. I picked up a basic aluminum Jon boat that I'd like to add a front and rear deck to. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build the deck from wood and fiberglass. How would I attach the decks to the boat?

2. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

screws -- after all the labor , expense , weight of f'glass over wood ...-just buy aluminum diamond plate and a little framing for it, rivet or screw it down.
    -lighter, cleaner, longer lasting..more professional looking to boot ;)
    -anyide

3. However I decided to build the deck, if I attach it to the boat using stainless steel fasteners will I have trouble with corrosion?

4. anytide

-no problems w' s.steel :)
    -anytide

5. Just wanna be sure. I was told that when you mix metals, saltwater tends to eat at em pretty good.

6. anytide

aluminum fasteners are softer than s.steel and harder to work with,
    -will corrode also -s.steel is prob. your best bet.. someone on here will have input also :D.. good luck
    -anytide

7. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

There is a compound called penatrox 5 A that will go a long way toward keeping down the corrosion from unlike metals. I don't know if it is available commercially. Lockheed used it on Navy planes years ago.

Frank_S

8. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

Tef-gel is commercially available and works well when using SS fasteners in alum.

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

SS is considered inert as far as a metal is concerned and is the best when attaching dis-similar metals. There will still be some corrosion down the road and the products mentioned are wonderful.