Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Contacted SeaArk:
Had some time today, so I'm starting at the top and working my way down the list (waiting on a prodigy call back/20K range they said from my on-line build).

-SeaArk local Florida dealer quotes (not in stock. -Retail cost + shipping/special order).
Hull Only:
1652 SLD $6,442.50
1860 SLD $7,611.00
1652 MVT $4,901.25
1860 MVT $5,983.75
1872 MVT $7632.00
2072 MVT $7915.00
Flotation pods: $480.00
P.S. Dealer said what ever motor I wanted (transom rated), would have to be ordered as well.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Just started reading this thread, in the market for a new skiff, been considering BT mosquito and Cayo 173 glass hulls. After more research, considering aluminum hull , areas i fish are shallow and full of oyster. Going to check out Sabine Skiffs during a trip to Texas next week, but also considering SeaArk 1652 and 1860. Need to find a dealer here near Gainesville. Any idea what a basic setup with a tiller would cost on the Seaark 1652 or 1860?
I like the 1860/1872 MVT for the width.
Note: I like the ice runner option for the SeaArk boats.
I just wonder if sand will collect (with the saltwater/rust) in the runner since it doesn't look like it is factory welded the length of the runner, but only in certain spots.

https://www.seaarkboats.com/accessory/183/ice-runners

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
-Probably a stupid question and I'm not sure about my own answer seeing I'm a traditional transom kind of guy, and these new ones are very different.
-Picture for reference and not the company (random pic choice etc).
-So in regards to this new type of motor mount/transom, if I was to order a boat with this type of transom to fit my short shaft motor, then the back of the boat just behind the driver would still be the 20" correct and the motor mount/transom (if you will where the motor is actually attached in the pic) would be either the 15" or 20" choice.
-Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks again,
JB

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png

·
Registered
21 Posts
-Probably a stupid question and I'm not sure about my own answer seeing I'm a traditional transom kind of guy, and these new ones are very different.
-Picture for reference and not the company (random pic choice etc).
-So in regards to this new type of motor mount/transom, if I was to order a boat with this type of transom to fit my short shaft motor, then the back of the boat just behind the driver would still be the 20" correct and the motor mount/transom (if you will where the motor is actually attached in the pic) would be either the 15" or 20" choice.
-Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks again,
JB

View attachment 144092 View attachment 144094
I’m not familiar with this style of transom (or transom mount?). However, I have to believe that the transom in the picture would still have to accommodate a specific shaft length like a traditional setup.
Do you think this would be compatible with a jack plate at all?
Like I said, I have no knowledge on this.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I figured it out.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I’m not familiar with this style of transom (or transom mount?). However, I have to believe that the transom in the picture would still have to accommodate a specific shaft length like a traditional setup.
Yes from what I gather, the MOTOR MOUNT where the motor is now (in the picture) can be ordered in 15" or 20".
So my SShaft would work.
The place behind the driver is still 20" height or side height to keep water out.
This is called a Hunt Deck to get in/out of the boat easily.
I'm still researching, just found another aluminum boat company and added it to the list above.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, it will accommodate a jackplate. My excel has a hunt deck (and kik up transom) and a 4"jackplate. I can get a pic tomorrow if you want to set how it all adds up.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Yes, it will accommodate a jackplate. My excel has a hunt deck (and kik up transom) and a 4"jackplate. I can get a pic tomorrow if you want to set how it all adds up.
That would be great!
For now I'm working w/a 15" SShaft outboard until I get a newer motor.
I also like the MudBuddy motors but not for every day Gulf fishing, but they did say it's ok to run their MBuddy motors in the saltwater.
I have asked a dealer to give me some info on the Excel hunt deck and Kik up transom but they haven't responded yet.
Viper F4 and F4 Pro Shallow Water
P.S. How do you like the Kik Up transom?
Thank you,

·
Registered
97 Posts
The kik up transom was the #1 selling point for me. Running in timber, we're always hitting logs. Every other boat has an aftermarket kick up plate that is basically a hinged jackplate. No shock absorption and nothing to limit the travel. But the excel kik up addresses both of those. Monroe shocks dampen the blow, and limit how far up it can kick.

A lot of folks with the add- on kick up plates fashion limit straps or chains. That keeps it from kicking up too far and breaking the tiller, but does nothing for softening the impact. Had an xpress with one of those before and it would be hard to go back.

Only downside to the excel is it is heavy, but all of the add-ons like live well and built in gas tank add weight. The gas tank under the front deck helps with a quick holeshot but counters bow lift on the top end. They run real flat.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The kik up transom was the #1 selling point for me. Running in timber, we're always hitting logs. Every other boat has an aftermarket kick up plate that is basically a hinged jackplate. No shock absorption and nothing to limit the travel. But the excel kik up addresses both of those. Monroe shocks dampen the blow, and limit how far up it can kick.

A lot of folks with the add- on kick up plates fashion limit straps or chains. That keeps it from kicking up too far and breaking the tiller, but does nothing for softening the impact. Had an xpress with one of those before and it would be hard to go back.

Only downside to the excel is it is heavy, but all of the add-ons like live well and built in gas tank add weight. The gas tank under the front deck helps with a quick holeshot but counters bow lift on the top end. They run real flat.
Excellent info especially about the ride at top-end.
Didn't know they were heavy. I asked the dealer to provide all that info.
Glad to hear the shock works, but if not stainless , might rust out w/the saltwater but maybe not.
Yes the Kik Up did catch my eye and I keep going back to look at it/feature as well as the hunt deck.
Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
My 1860 hull weight is about 600 lbs.
That is the model I was looking at.
Want a 17/18' wide boat.
I''l have to wait from the dealer to see how much they are.
Thanks again, and for the pics of the boat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is the model I was looking at.
Want a 17/18' wide boat.
I''l have to wait from the dealer to see how much they are.
Thanks again, and for the pics of the boat.
Excel includes the step on the back in the overall length measurement. The 1860 is really a 17' boat with a 1' step on the back.

My buddy has the 1751. It goes through the timber better during hunting season, but the narrower width is noticeable in terms of fishing space.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Excel includes the step on the back in the overall length measurement. The 1860 is really a 17' boat with a 1' step on the back.

My buddy has the 1751. It goes through the timber better during hunting season, but the narrower width is noticeable in terms of fishing space.
Thank you very much., and thanks for the picture.
I didn't know the 1860 was a 17' w/ the extra step.
I thought the internal/boat only was 18' then the step.
That is good to know.
So the 16' is a 15' and 1751 is a 16'.
Kind of confusing but not.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Need some input:
In regards to the SeaArk 1860/1872 MVTunnel with Floatation Pods.

1. Do you think my 25 2Stoke would push the 60" or 72" until I can get a bigger motor (can't remember if I asked that)?

2. My 2Stroke doesn't have PTT, would it be better to just buy a JPalate then the new motor w/the PTT?

3. I'm thinking I can run the 2Stroke w/out PTT and just a JPLate (w/Cavplate), and since it is a ShortShaft (can lower the JP to compensate for the 20"), I can get away with raising it up vertically for now (but what do I know).

Thanks again,
JB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Need some input:
In regards to the SeaArk 1860/1872 MVTunnel with Floatation Pods.

1. Do you think my 25 2Stoke would push the 60" or 72" until I can get a bigger motor (can't remember if I asked that)?

2. My 2Stroke doesn't have PTT, would it be better to just buy a JPalate then the new motor w/the PTT?

3. I'm thinking I can run the 2Stroke w/out PTT and just a JPLate (w/Cavplate), and since it is a ShortShaft (can lower the JP to compensate for the 20"), I can get away with raising it up vertically for now (but what do I know).

Thanks again,
JB
That 1872 is a pretty large boat, last one I was on had a 90 on it. I know a 25 would work on a 1660, but with an 1860/ 1872 you might be too underpowered. However, if it’s just a temporary thing until you can put a larger motor on, I don’t see too much harm in doing so.
As for PTT, I know plenty of people who run their boats without it. It’s mostly a preference thing. I do think that if you’re going to get the larger 1860 or 1872 you should start looking for another motor, regardless of PTT. As for your 3rd question, I don’t know enough about jack plates to give any educated input on that, but these other guys seem like they know what they’re doing. I’m sure they’ll have an answer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
We tried a 25 on a 1650 xpress one duck season (to comply with refuge rules). It was an absolute pig with a load. With a full load, it just plowed water and never planed.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Ya especially a T-hull I would imagine.
Might give it a go an when the wife goes w/me, then she will probably drive me to the dealer and have one put on.
Plus I can remind her before I purchase, that she said might as well go all NEW!
We will see, just trying to figure out exactly what I want and the Excel is still on my mind as well as the Uncle J, which is 18weeks out in MFGing.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
OK so since we are on tunnel hulls, lets talk Jets for a minute.
Example: SeaArk 1860 MVTJ; 65HP.
-So with a Jet, then I suppose the 90*HP is what Jet is needed on the label of the motor to get your maximum HP of the prop rating output of 65HP.
-Is that correct?
Thanks,

https://www.seaarkboats.com/boat/25/1860-mvjt

61 - 80 of 89 Posts