Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running amlumacraft tunnels? found some info here but nothing specific? im looking at an alumacraft 1546 DD T ,hopefully going to pick it up on saturday. Anybody own one or ran one? trying to get some input, ive got a 25merc 2stroke waiting to be put, wondering how you proped or what recommendations yall have to get it running right.

G

·
We carried them back in the day. The tunnel design works good but the water gets pretty aerated so plan on cupping. They take a jack plate real good and feed the water nice. They are well built production aluminum boats.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well, spoke too soon, somebody got her before i could...Alumacraft no longer lists a 15 tunnel as a model, so is there another recommended manufacturer, or smaller company? looking for a light small mod v 15 with tunnel. Like the Weldbuilt but seems like a mission to get one in florida.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
I just bought one in June. I'm in GA. Still tweaking it. Added a JP and cupped prop. There website never lists them but call an alumacraft dealer. They have plenty here in GA. I like the boat so far. Happy to discuss more if you pick one up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought one in June. I'm in GA. Still tweaking it. Added a JP and cupped prop. There website never lists them but call an alumacraft dealer. They have plenty here in GA. I like the boat so far. Happy to discuss more if you pick one up.
link me up with your dealer.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
Mitchell Marine. Lagrange GA. There is also a dealer in Dublin, GA. You should find alumacraft dealers in FL first and see if they have them. I have the 1546 DD tunnel but never found it on the alumacraft website.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0-5.jpeg
Mitchell Marine. Lagrange GA. There is also a dealer in Dublin, GA. You should find alumacraft dealers in FL first and see if they have them. I have the 1546 DD tunnel but never found it on the alumacraft website.
I got in contact with Mitchell marine, they have one for me. but does yours have a raised transom? The other one i looked at did not. dealer says it will still accommodate my 25 merc SS.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
Yes. Mine does. There raised transom is for a long shaft. They didn't know that and they ended up selling me a long shaft 25 yammie at a great price since my short shaft motor, that they said would work, did not.

Edit. I just reread your post. The raised transom will only accommodate a LONG SHAFT.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
0-6.jpeg

That weasel is trying to tell me the raised transom will fit my 15'' shaft and he sends me a photo with a long shaft motor...Dublin marine in dublin said why can order me one.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That weasel is trying to tell me the raised transom will fit my 15'' shaft and he sends me a photo with a long shaft motor...Dublin marine in dublin said why can order me one.
Hard to tell from that angle , but I bet it would be fine with your short shaft motor, as I am guessing the distance from the top of the tunnel to the top of the transom is 15". Ask him to measure that. That is your critical measurement.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OWWuDX.jpg
6568_b5da9c35491b0116efb3620cdcd576be.jpg
Heres one from a classified here. "15inch" tansom with short shaft, motor sits way low, and most photos with SS and set to tunnel they have a jack plate...what you boys think?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
Listen guys,. I've been through this. I put my short shaft on the raised transom and went 4 mph at 6k rpms. They told me the same thing. The raised transom in your picture requires a long shaft motor. They did make it right by giving me a heck of a deal on a new 25 long shaft.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
Here's the problem on this boat. I think it measures close to the short shaft number but it won't run with a short shaft. I'll measure when I get home. There is a reason that one has a raised transom and one does not. Raised transom is long shaft. Period.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
I will add, I think it is kind of in between. I wouldn't run it with a long shaft and no jackplate. That would defeat the purpose of the tunnel. If you really want to use a short shaft you could mount the JP lower than the transom.

G

·
View attachment 117746
Here's the problem on this boat. I think it measures close to the short shaft number but it won't run with a short shaft. I'll measure when I get home. There is a reason that one has a raised transom and one does not. Raised transom is long shaft. Period.
This boat has a raised transom and a long shaft motor that is clearly hanging too far down. I have rigged hundreds of this boat, and in the thousands of others! Follow my guide for transom measurements and prop the thing correctly and it’ll run. The Alumacraft tunnel design creates some air and in turn creates some cavitation. These boats need cup in the prop to hook up folks! The bandaid is a good 4blade prop but a well designed and cupped 3blade will work great also, James

·
I Love microskiff.com!
734 Posts
The measurement on the raised transom is 19 inches from the top of the tunnel to the to of the transom. James, I agree with the long shaft being too long. That's why I said it's in between. It basically has to have a jackplate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts