Alluminum oxcidation

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by cvilt, Apr 2, 2014.

1. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

My Bimini bows are anodized aluminum and they are looking a little shabby. Is there a way to get the white off and remove or reduce the scratches? All I can think of if buff away but am open to ideas

2. David_Estes

David_Estes Well-Known Member

you can remove the corrosion with scotch bright. and etch it Aluma Prep. It is a acid bath to kill any corrosion left behind. On aircraft we take it a step further and Alodine the surface. This is a chemical conversion coating but it will leave the bear spots a gold tint, much like grade 8 hardware. Your best bet would be to clear coat the repair with a polyurethane  of some sort. any body shop could spray it.   Other than that???? not sure??? Anodizing is like electroshock therapy, so reproducing the coating would require having the whole thing re finished.  Hope this helps 

3. cvilt

Thanks Dave. Anodized surface looks good when new but I always found it fragile. I will scuff, buff and spray. Wifey wants a new stainless top but I am too cheap ;)

4. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

How about buffing it out and using sharkhide or flitz?

5. cvilt

I hit an area with buff magic and a lambs wool buffer. Made a huge difference. I can see small spots where the anodizing is gone leaving behind bare aluminum. if you didn't know you would not see the difference. I may see how a good coat of wax holds up. Thanks guys :)