Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm a fan of single foot guides.
Is the rod optimized for braid?
Yes braid in the 15 to 20 # would work great for this rod. I tested it with a 10# fluorocarbon line that is slightly larger in diameter than the 8# recommended for the reel. A smaller diameter line as is braid would be great for this reel. I believe the set up would benefit.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
This is a spinning rod built for my nephew's son. It is built on a Batson / Rainshadow SP843, 7' Fast Action, Medium blank. The guides are Seaguide Hero SSG strippers and Fuji LAG runners, the seat is a Alps BAT-RPD16-1S with custom turned EVA grip, fore grip and butt piece. It was made for the Shimano 2500 Seinna Reel. Just about any any Shimano 2500 should work for it. View attachment 160326 View attachment 160327 View attachment 160328 View attachment 160329 View attachment 160330 View attachment 160331 View attachment 160332
Snake, where did you pick up that reel seat and winding checks? How did you do the red inlay? Do you stop the thread between colors?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Snake, where did you pick up that reel seat and winding checks? How did you do the red inlay? Do you stop the thread between colors?
I got the reel seat and colored nut from FTU in Houston and the blank came from there also, I picked it up when they were having a sale. I have never used that particular seat and it looked like it would be comfortable and was suitable for up locking. The style grip I was going for was like a full Wells fly grip and this seat made it look right to me. I originally got the reel and matched up the colors to the thread and the nut on the reel seat. The trim bands were wrapped separate but there are some inlayed threads in the middle of some bands. I did a tiger wrap between the rear grip and the butt piece; it does not show up very well in the pictures. In sunlight you can see much better it is a 3D type effect. Here is a picture of one that shows up better. The winding checks are ones that I had and am not sure where I got them, but I used 2 silver swooped ones on the back grip and a dimpled one on the foregrip. I always use metal (Aluminum) winding checks and coat them with wrapping epoxy. You can get them anodized in a bunch of different colors and you can spray paint them yourself if you cannot find the color you want. Here are some sites I use for components so you can order them online and they are trustworthy. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them. I am more performance based on my rods, but it doesn't hurt to bling em up a little.
Also if you are going to build rods the correct way you need to learn from this site;

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Thanks snake. I use a few of those websites already. I've built most of my rods off of NFC blanks so far. Love them.

261 - 264 of 264 Posts