Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a rougher cork handle? The last 3 I've used were sourced from mudhole and I'm not in love with the smooth finish of the cork. I prefer a rougher more textured finish (no synthetics either). What I prefer is unusually found on older fly rods. Does age have something to do with it maybe?
Most cork now a days comes with a bunch of filler in the voids as well as a very light skim coat over the grip. It is very thin but gives the illusion you have much nicer cork than you really do. Put that grip on a mandrel and chuck it in a drill. Choose any sandpaper you would like and go lightly until the cork feels like you want it to. If you get real aggressive with it you will pull chunks of filler out out of the voids.

If you have a power wrapper you can do this with factory rods as well. I just retouched some cork on a Loomis CC Pro1 where he did not like the asymmetrical shape of the grip. Chucked it in the power wrapper and turned it down a little at a time to suit his hand and grip. Much better now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
The tip section on my NRX is starting to show its age and use...is there any way to bring back the shine or should I just not worry about it?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Just posted some unopened ProKote thread epoxy in the for sale section. Just want to get rid of it. Brand new.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Alright. Talk me into building my own rods. I have everything I think I'd need from a rod wrapper, dryer, to a lathe. Mostly stuff handed down to me or picked up in hopes of doing it one day. I think that day is closely approaching. I'm thinking about building a 6wt Mangrove with recoil single footers and their insert stripping guides. Searching on mudhole for all the components, but these numbers and sizes mean nothing to me. Is there any kind of guide out there for this stuff? I'd hate to blindly order all of this and find out I was completely wrong. Thanks!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
I'm a new builder too. Order the kits for guides. Echo snake guides are good. I prefer recoil guides and reel seats. Expensive but nice. Check out the NFC blanks by Gary Loomis. They are awesome. I sold my production rods after I built it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm a new builder too. Order the kits for guides. Echo snake guides are good. I prefer recoil guides and reel seats. Expensive but nice. Check out the NFC blanks by Gary Loomis. They are awesome. I sold my production rods after I built it. View attachment 159060 View attachment 159061
Very nice build. Those NFC blanks are really special and are as good as the industry has. The Recoil snake guides are are the lightest and easiest to maintain guide there is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a new builder too. Order the kits for guides. Echo snake guides are good. I prefer recoil guides and reel seats. Expensive but nice. Check out the NFC blanks by Gary Loomis. They are awesome. I sold my production rods after I built it.
Finish looks fantastic. I ordered a nfc 1 piece blank. Where / how did you figure out your guide spacing?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Alright. Talk me into building my own rods. I have everything I think I'd need from a rod wrapper, dryer, to a lathe. Mostly stuff handed down to me or picked up in hopes of doing it one day. I think that day is closely approaching. I'm thinking about building a 6wt Mangrove with recoil single footers and their insert stripping guides. Searching on mudhole for all the components, but these numbers and sizes mean nothing to me. Is there any kind of guide out there for this stuff? I'd hate to blindly order all of this and find out I was completely wrong. Thanks!!
Do it, it is not that hard, but you are going in the right direction by asking for help. You Tube can be your best friend at this stage, I wish it would have been around when I first started because it would of saved me a couple of years of figuring things out. The first thing you need to do is learn how to wrap guides. You will need a system that works for you that you can consistently repeat. I use thin strips of tape to hold the guides in place and to hold tag ends of thread when needed. This is only one method so watch you tube and try something that will be easy for you. The next thing you will need to do is learn how to apply epoxy and be patient. The 2 different types of epoxy you will need are one for setting the reel seat and grips (fast curing around 15 minutes set time) and one for covering the wrapped guides (slow curing and around 5 hours to set). You will need a dryer unless you want turn the blank a quarter turn every 5 minutes till the epoxy sets. With guides on fly rods I do not use single foot snake because I do not like the way they cast. Double foot snakes are lighter and let the line slide through them better. It will cast better with double foot snakes. To get started I would just copy an existing rod and its dimensions and guide placement. Maybe a better blank than what you have. Let me know if want something specific and I will try to answer the best I know how.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Thanks guys. Really getting into building. I actually am in the process of selling off my production rods. The NFC blanks are incredible.

As far as guide spacing, NFC has it in their website. I didn't use it though. I used a rod I had as a baseline and static load tested it. Worked out great. The NFC spacing chart had 11 guides on it. I have never seen that many on a 6wt. I was able to use 10.

·
Registered
180 Posts
@Snakesurf thanks for the information. I have a dryer, so I'm good to go there. I'm also interested in the NFC blanks the guys are building on, but their website is quite lacking. Does anyone have a way to break these blanks down to action/feel or what they might be comparable to?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
They have two lines really. The classic and the gamma beta/alpha. There is a third option that is considerably cheaper at the LMX. The classic is apparently older tech but still all were developed by Gary Loomis. I've got a couple classics and after the build I immediately sold my orvis rods. They are smooth.

The gamma beta is the newest offering and supposed to be a great day action rod. I'm getting ready to build a couple. Check out edge rods. They are the production side of the house. The gamma alpha is the moderate action rods in lower weights for trout guys.

The LMX is supposed to be a rod built to specs tight enough that they can send you just a replacement section of you break it. I don't know anyone with one. I'd pass.

They are all 68% off right now. Have to put it in the cart to see the discount. I started with the classic just to get my feet wet. Now I'm building in the GB. By all accounts an awesome blank.

·
Registered
247 Posts
@Snakesurf thanks for the information. I have a dryer, so I'm good to go there. I'm also interested in the NFC blanks the guys are building on, but their website is quite lacking. Does anyone have a way to break these blanks down to action/feel or what they might be comparable to?
I have just built on the F series Gamma Beta. They are fast action rods and are very similar to the G Loomis IMX or NRX rod blanks. Kind of a cross between the two. I would imagine the actions on the other LMX, etc are a bit slower and maybe slightly heavier in weight. For a 6 weight I think the LMX would be just fine in the fast version. I have built on the Mangrove and it is a nice blank but not quite as crispy or responsive as I thought it was going to be. For the price at 60% off $125 I think that the LMX FAF906-4 is a bargain and would definitely build that over the Mangrove (picture).

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is a spinning rod built for my nephew's son. It is built on a Batson / Rainshadow SP843, 7' Fast Action, Medium blank. The guides are Seaguide Hero SSG strippers and Fuji LAG runners, the seat is a Alps BAT-RPD16-1S with custom turned EVA grip, fore grip and butt piece. It was made for the Shimano 2500 Seinna Reel. Just about any any Shimano 2500 should work for it.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts