Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also have the glue from my recent repair. Any suggestions on fly rod blanks?
There are just a lot of great blanks out there. 1st How much do you want to spend on just the blank and is made in America important to you? 2nd What is your preference, are you already fly fishing and what are you using? 3rd Do you want a fast rod, medium or slow? If you can answer those questions I can point you in the right direction. I started building fly rods first about 31 years ago.
20180629_002220.jpg

·
If it ain't broke tweak it a little....
254 Posts
I have purchased several times from Get Bit use PayPal only. Kevin the owner is a stand up guy and staff has been helpful. They carry Rainshadow blanks that I like building inshore rods from on a budget.
I like visiting Mudhole since I'm only 40 min away. Cool showroom and large inventory. Their staff have always given good advice and great customer service.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
There are just a lot of great blanks out there. 1st How much do you want to spend on just the blank and is made in America important to you? 2nd What is your preference, are you already fly fishing and what are you using? 3rd Do you want a fast rod, medium or slow? If you can answer those questions I can point you in the right direction. I started building fly rods first about 31 years ago.
View attachment 152724
Beautiful. Where do you get the custom stickers.

I prefer American rods but am open to others. I'm using orvis recon and H2 now. Fast action. Been fly fishing for about 8 years.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Any opinions on CTS blanks?
Great sticks but they can be spendy. I simply don't see the value in their products at full price but there is no doubt about the quality. Personally, I think the epic carbon rods are better bang for your buck and they go on sale more frequently.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Great sticks but they can be spendy. I simply don't see the value in their products at full price but there is no doubt about the quality. Personally, I think the epic carbon rods are better bang for your buck and they go on sale more frequently.
Thanks. I'm getting them at about a 20% discount. Do you think that seems more reasonable. Basically 200 for the blank.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks. I'm getting them at about a 20% discount. Do you think that seems more reasonable. Basically 200 for the blank.
At that price point they are all good rods. Careful, don't nuke your budget on $25 stripping guides and $50 cork.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Any opinions on CTS blanks?
I build three of them for personal use and I really like them and highly recommend them # 8 MX, # 8X and a #10X. They are light, crisp and a pleasure to cast and fish. I got my blanks direct from the importer in FL.
SAM_1010.JPG
SAM_1327.JPG
SAM_1317.JPG

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks. Very nice work. I just bought some blanks from North Fork Composites as well.
Just bought ordered some North Fork Delta spinning rods myself.

This is the mhx blank I finished wrapping last night. I have a little clean up left before finishing it today. This is only the 2nd rod I've wrapped so I'm still very much a beginner.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Just bought ordered some North Fork Delta spinning rods myself.

This is the mhx blank I finished wrapping last night. I have a little clean up left before finishing it today. This is only the 2nd rod I've wrapped so I'm still very much a beginner.
View attachment 153930
Nice. I just finished my first one but I just did very basic wraps. How did you do those wraps?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a rougher cork handle? The last 3 I've used were sourced from mudhole and I'm not in love with the smooth finish of the cork. I prefer a rougher more textured finish (no synthetics either). What I prefer is unusually found on older fly rods. Does age have something to do with it maybe?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a rougher cork handle? The last 3 I've used were sourced from mudhole and I'm not in love with the smooth finish of the cork. I prefer a rougher more textured finish (no synthetics either). What I prefer is unusually found on older fly rods. Does age have something to do with it maybe?

I would say it has almost everything to do with age. As the cork dries, the cracks get bigger and give that rougher feel. I would say for you to buy the cheapest cork possible if you don't want the smoothest texture. Also, if you are having someone custom make you a handle, they can skip the last step of sanding it with higher grit sandpaper. That might keep some of the texture.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
Just got into rod building. I posted a hand wrapper and dryer in the for sale section. Pretty much brand new. I upgraded to a power wrapper. Great way to get started.

221 - 240 of 264 Posts