Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well traditionally the beginning of Winter end of Autumn the winds back off and you get the westerlies in Sydney and its great time of year to get out, the bonus is the big pleasure boats seem to remain in dock, (too cold for them), so I love it, the fishing is usually good too, this year was no exception, had a ball chasing Kingfish and the usual bread and butter fish we get in the Harbour, but now its getting bit cold for early starts, (for me anyway) by the time Im ready to get out the wind has raised is ugly head, so Im eagerly waiting for spring and the afternoon tides and daylight saving make for a great time here.....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
699 Posts
Kingfish -- that's the same thing as California yellowtail, correct? World's finest gamefish in my book. Fight like an amberjack but much more challenging to find and catch, worm free and excellent on the grill. If you can get to them in a 15' skiff, even better. This one was in Baja California, Mex.

IMG_6969f.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,610 Posts
Kingfish -- that's the same thing as California yellowtail, correct? World's finest gamefish in my book. Fight like an amberjack but much more challenging to find and catch, worm free and excellent on the grill. If you can get to them in a 15' skiff, even better. This one was in Baja California, Mex.

View attachment 13437
I don't think so, here is what a kingfish looks like

The California yellowtail is the "Hamachi" that you get in sushi restaurants.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
699 Posts
Correct about the hamachi. That is in fact a California yellowtail in my pic. I lived in Southern California for years and wrote a book about fishing Baja.

And yes that's a kingfish/king mackerel.

But New Zealand (and I think southern Australia) has a nearly identical fish to the California yellowtail that they call kingfish, or southern kingfish, or yellowtail kingfish. Here's a link: https://www.megabitesfishing.co.nz/blog/556553

Edit: Apparently the southern hemisphere version is Seriola lalandi lalandi, and the northern hemisphere version is Seriola lalandi dorsalis. Whatever that means.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct about the hamachi. That is in fact a California yellowtail in my pic. I lived in Southern California for years and wrote a book about fishing Baja.

And yes that's a kingfish/king mackerel.

But New Zealand (and I think southern Australia) has a nearly identical fish to the California yellowtail that they call kingfish, or southern kingfish, or yellowtail kingfish. Here's a link: https://www.megabitesfishing.co.nz/blog/556553

Edit: Apparently the southern hemisphere version is Seriola lalandi lalandi, and the northern hemisphere version is Seriola lalandi dorsalis. Whatever that means.
Certainly very similar, we get them inshore as well certain times of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts