AKC German Shorthair Pointer breeder??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Sep 5, 2012.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Anyone here have any contacts/info on AKC German Shorthair pointer breeders?

-T

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Tom - the only thing I know about GSP's is that there was a dog by the name of Rusty and he basically changed the rules for the breed. Make sure you get an offspring of his.

3. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

take samples first....

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Samples?

5. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

yeah. DN has a kit........

6. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I assume you are looking for a hunting dog, correct? My dad liked GSHs for pheasants because they worked closer than pointers. His last one was pretty good on quail also, but once we left Iowa and then Kansas, she was a fish out of water. She never took to ducks, but to her credit she never really saw a duck until she was 7-8 years old.

When you are looking into a hunting breed you are unfamiliar with, find the AKC or UKC hunt test sites online. Hunt tests are not designed to select the most overly trained dog from a herd of overly trained dogs like Labrador field trials. Instead, hunt tests give you a real world objective measure of an individual dogs hunting ability. If momma has a respectable ranking and daddy has a respectable ranking and the pup tackles a bird wing, you'll have a very high probability of getting a good dog. The breeders with multiple damns and sires with good rankings are the guys you want to deal with.

Next, GSH are awesome pheasant dogs, although they can do anything you train them to do. If the breeder isn't in pheasant country, i.e. South Dakota or Nebraska or western Kansas or Iowa, I'd be very cautious. GSH are stubborn, high energy dogs by design. They have to be in order to do what they do. Anyone who doesn't hunt pheasants or at least quail or chukar but breeds GSHs anyway is cat lady crazy and is probably dumbing them down or breeding for spots or some other silliness.

If the breeder has the number for any guides who hunt over their dogs, book a trip to see for yourself.

Nate

7. patrickknight

patrickknight THE FRESH LIFE!!!!!!!

i say go hungarian,,viszlas rock

8. mirrocraft

mirrocraft I Love microskiff.com!

I have a French Brittany "Scooter" that I hunt. Great dogs. My buddy's I quail hunt with hunt GSP's. Find a reputable breeder of true hunters. Be ready to spend up to $1,500 for a truly good dog. Most reputable breeders will ask you questions. Let them. They will ask what you expect and what type of terrain and lifestyle you live. Let them select the dog out of the litter for you. Trust me a good breeder has a better understanding in the few weeks they have had them. Myself and friends have done this and have had great luck. My dog has had hundreds of birds shot over him and at 8 months locked up on his first covey of quail and naturally backed the other dogs point. Good breeding is critical. You cannot teach a dog to hunt. They have to have it bred into them. Bird dogs are a handful until at least 3 years old. Be ready.

Do not skimp up front on the purchase a dog taken care of properly will cost at least $1,500 a year to take care of. A huge investment of $ and time. I love em!

9. mirrocraft

mirrocraft I Love microskiff.com!

By the way my buddy got his from a breeder in Kansas. Had it flown to Jacksonville total for about $1,500.