Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fished with a friend in Tampa yesterday who used it some last year and he said there were a lot of Problems with it. He works at a fly shop and said others had the same experience.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I just ordered some in a 7 and 10 wt. Definitely has some memory. I'm looking forward to stretching it out and seeing how it casts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
They haven't figured out the whole clear floating thing yet.
Airflow is the best at it, but the coating comes off like string cheese after a couple fish on it.
Cortland Clear is another, but it tangles/coils up for me.
I've heard Monic is worse, but I have never tried it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most guys up here use a clear intermediate but I prefer floating lines when sight fishing. It helps a lot with line management, as well as giving me the best chance of a second shot.

This year my hope is to pass on the smaller schoolie stripers and wait for fish in the 30" plus range. With bigger fish I think the clear vs opaque line starts to matter more.

@bryson I'd be will to try either.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Cortland has a "Ghost tip" that is an intermediate tip on a floating line, but I haven't thrown it. I like the clear intermediate tip on the Rio Outbound Short, but I'm not a big fan of the taper (super heavy and short). I just picked up the Cortland full clear floater for my tarpon rig, but haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I agree with most of what backbone says.

I had a monic that works pretty well once I stretched the heck out of it. It also snapped where the head met the running line.

Once SA comes out with one we will be good in my opinion. Orvis is coming out with a titan clear tip floater which I think is made by SA so it could be a good option.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, I usually think that if it's good enough for other flats fish then a 14' leader and an opaque line should be fine for stripers. We have a guy that takes a brillo pad to his new rods to take the shine off of them. I'm not willing to go that far. Although, he does catch lots of good fish.

And if I were to go clear intermediate whats the best option then?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I been using the airflo ridgid tropical clear tip for the past year now in a 10wt and it’s my favorite line. It cast great and seems to coil and tangle a lot less then my other lines.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
9 Posts
12 - 16 feet.
With a leader that length I'm not sure you need the clear tip line--even in super clear water. That's my experience on Yankee stripers. Of course you could tweak your leader, lengthening from the fat end. Still and all it's all fun fooling with new lines.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Used it on my 12 last tarpon season. Held up nice, does have memory but when it's 95 plus degrees on the deck of the skiff if helps to have some memory. I also noticed its diameter seems to be bigger than other 12wt lines so shooting it into 15mph winds sometimes isn't easy. It's not very clear though is my only thing. It looks more white than clear to me. Considering going with the flats pro ghost tip this year but haven't made the purchase yet. I'd rather have a full floating line rather than the intermediate tip too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts