Advise on getting her right. (Plytanic)

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by firecat1981, Sep 24, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I took the first real runa nd it went well, but I had to run the motor tucked all the way in or it would ventilate, I have a spare 4 blade on her and I'm thinking about going back to a stock aluminum 3 blade (my original was bent in a wreck). Can an aluminum prop be cupped a bit? if so how much does that usually cost? Think this would help the issue?

Other than that I think I need some tabs, I need her to plane quicker and stay on plane at lower speeds. I was also hoping this would let the TnT to be used to adjust running angle instead of having to be tucked all the way in. I have some things worked out in my head, I was just wondering what you all think? here's some picks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

You know me ,,, SE Sport 200 ;-)

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Electric trim tabs would be my choice... :cool:

4. firecat1981

I can't afford Lenco's now. About the only thing I can really afford is either a hydrofoil, or smart tabs. I;m leaning towards the smart tabs, this way I don't have to drill my new lower unit.

Any thoughts on the Prop? any major advantage one way or the other between a se 200 and smart tabs?

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You have a flat bottom hull FC.
    That means that turbulence caused by the forward motion of the hull
    interacting with the water is causing aeration of the top 2 inches of the water
    lying directly under the hull. I ran into the same problem when testing my tunnel.
    The top of the blades of a stock prop need to be an inch and a half below the bottom of the hull.
    By using a cupped three blade aluminum I was able to regain that inch and a half.

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

An aluminum prop can be cupped. Last time I had it done I think it was $65 but that also included a rebuild.

7. firecat1981

That's exactly what I was thinking. I busted out my old 3 blade and a ruler to see how far out of wack it was. It's actually not bent as far as I can tell from takeing measurements off of multiple point along the 3 blades. However it does have a good size chip in it, I think I will throw it on just for a test run to see how she does. If it runs better with a 3 blade then I will buy a new one and have it cupped (or buy the yamaha prop that is already cupped).
    Do I need to go up in pitch when cupping, or is it still close enough?

8. Les_Lammers

Les_Lammers Well-Known Member

Your boat looks great.

Perhaps the prop change will do it? I got an SE 200 on Noettica's rec but have not had the boat in the water yet. They also make a 'sport clip' that allows you to use the SE 200 w/o drilling.

Lencos would be nice but not really necessary, IMHO.

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Don't get a new prop - get that one fixed to the way you want it. If you don't like the way you have it made, then have them make it a different way.

10. firecat1981

The sport clip won't fit my motor, I've tried, it's only for 25hp and up. I really don't want to have to drill the motor again if I can avoid it, but will keep it as an option.

As far as getting the prop fixed, I have a friend that just had one fixed, he is not that happy with the results cause when they smoothed the prop it changed the diameter a little and ended up raising his rpm's and lowering his top speed. I'll have to call a shop and talk to them about it, a new prop is only like $60 so I think I might go this route to just start from a clean slate. First I'll have to see how the 3 blade runs.

11. firecat1981

anyone know a local shop in the tamps/lakeland area?

12. noeettica

Tampa bay propeller on 41 ... Come down 54 take a left go south where 41 splits take left fork small Industrial park on right shop all the way on end ...

You should call them first ....

13. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

FC check out Turning Point prop's. Iboats has them for the best price online.  I am very happy with the aluminum prop, it even came with fairly aggressive cupping or so my prop shop said.  The grip is much better than stock, top end didn't change much.

14. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Admiral props in tampa, Its right of gandy, they take care of all the props in the tampa bay area. The guys over there are on top of there game. I have had several props rebuilt over the years by them.

15. noeettica

I tested these they do work but are very fragile Hub is hard plastic :-( Solas better prop for the money

16. firecat1981

Thanks guys, ?I have a solas right now, it's not bad but if I can buy a genuine yamaha prop that will work I'll go that route as I found they have ones that are cupped from the factory.

Now the question is what to do about pitch? When you cup a prop I know it does something to your RPM's right? I think it cuts them back a 100 or so if I remember? Last time I checked my motor was running about 5450-5500rpm's, my range is 5000-6000rpm's on this motor so I was right in the middle, if I can increase them a little it would be nice.

So should I go down to a 9 pitch prop when cupping, or stick with a 10 pitch like it came from the factory?

17. firecat1981

OK I checked on the solas props, I can't get one for my motor that comes with cupping so that is out. I can get the yamaha prop, but not until tuesday.
    If I want it by then I have to order it by 3 today. So hopefully someone will respond and let me know if I should go with a 9 or 10 pitch?

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I'm running a cupped 9x10 on a merc 9.9, you ought to be able to get away with a 10 pitch easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. firecat1981

I didn't order it yet, but I guess I could go with a 10" pitch, Thats what I have now, but doesn't cupping make you lose a few hundred rpm's?
    I looked into the turning point props and they have one that will fit, but it's $2 more then I can get a yamaha cupped prop for. What would you guys do? I'm still thinking about sticking with the yamaha.

20. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Sorry to derail..

Noettica: Fragile? I chewed almost an inch of each tip grinding through oysters... Dave wtf did you hit?

FC: The Turning Point is a much better prop than my stocker (which is actually made by Solas). The metal is thicker at the hub & thinner at the tip, castings are cleaner, and the prop just "feels" higher quality. I would go with the Turning Point, if you don't like it go to a prop shop for a tune up. And I know TP's can be worked as mine has a proprietary cup on it now.