Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Heading down to the Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City in January for a little long weekend birthday trip with the wife and a few friends. We will have 2-3 small skiffs going. This will be everyone in the groups first trip to the area and I was hoping for a little advice on tactics and fly selection. My normal experience is winter = small bait but any tips would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on what species will produce the most bent rods for that time of year?

Also any gear a tampa guy might not think to bring down? *bug spray recommendations*

Thanks and stay safe this weekend east coast peeps,

·
Registered
489 Posts
I fished it this past January and had a 50-fish (snook) day. I was using spin gear though. I think your success ( or lack thereof) will be contingent on water temperature. A cold front blowing through will shut it down, but a couple of weeks of mild weather and game on. I like fishing this time of year because you can sleep late...and get on the water early afternoon as it warms. Less bugs too.

Protip - breakfast at the Havana Cafe in Choko.

Disclaimer: I’m no expert but this is what works for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fished it this past January and had a 50-fish (snook) day. I was using spin gear though. I think your success ( or lack thereof) will be contingent on water temperature. A cold front blowing through will shut it down, but a couple of weeks of mild weather and game on. I like fishing this time of year because you can sleep late...and get on the water early afternoon as it warms. Less bugs too.

Protip - breakfast at the Havana Cafe in Choko.

Disclaimer: I’m no expert but this is what works for me.
Thanks for the input, we will check out the Cafe!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,801 Posts
Not sure what kind of MFD you run, but you might want to check out Florida Marine Tracks. Navigating the 10K Islands can be a little tricky. Everything in the water will eat a shrimp, so shrimp patterns would probably be a good idea. Bugs are manageable in the winter, especially if there is any breeze. I'd be happy to share some more information if you want to DM me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts