Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded my riptide with a new Terrova, wondering where to mount “heading sensor”, and what to wire it into.
Anyone with 18’ have any experience?
Thank you!

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Just upgraded my riptide with a new Terrova, wondering where to mount “heading sensor”, and what to wire it into.
Anyone with 18’ have any experience?
Thank you!
No experience. But based on what I'm reading all that sensor does is support the jog feature for spot lock. Since it uses bluetooth to communicate with the GPS in the TM the only wiring required is a 12V power feed. I would parallel off the same fuse that feeds the chart plotter, and mount it on top the center console if it were me. Thats where most people put the external GPS antennae for their flush mounted chart plotters.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/product-news/the-new-minn-kota-i-pilot-heading-sensor

IMO that jog feature is more for bottom fishing in open water than flats fishing. I'm not sure I would ever use it. But I don't bottom fish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No experience. But based on what I'm reading all that sensor does is support the jog feature for spot lock. Since it uses bluetooth to communicate with the GPS in the TM the only wiring required is a 12V power feed. I would parallel off the same fuse that feeds the chart plotter, and mount it on top the center console if it were me. Thats where most people put the external GPS antennae for their flush mounted chart plotters.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/product-news/the-new-minn-kota-i-pilot-heading-sensor

IMO that jog feature is more for bottom fishing in open water than flats fishing. I'm not sure I would ever use it. But I don't bottom fish.
Thanks MM!
On console is my backup plan, was hoping someone had mounted it on/near poling platform, and knew how to wire it, as it seems like the further it is from tm the more accurate it would be.
Supposed to eliminate much of the “rest for a bit, then have to gun it” to get back onto anchor spot, especially in wind/current.

I do a lot of sitting on anchor mode, in current, watching, waiting for a fish to show.
The jog feature will be very nice for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts