Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of any canoe or Gheenoe like skiff that could realistically and safely handle a small outboard while being paddlable and poleable? From what I've read, most of the big name canoes out there that are rated for smaller, say 5hp or so, outboards cannot handle them without having significant bowing to the stern/transom or hull. I'd like to be able to fish flats and also be able to take off the outboard and paddle a considerable distance on rivers, so I think this rules out the Gheenoe. I also don't want to worry about the canoe breaking in half everytime I fire up the outboard.

I'd like to keep it less than 2,000$ or so.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
680 Posts
I just want to agree with you that paddling a Gheenoe 15'4 or 13 any distance and in any wind or current just isn't an ideal option. If you're going to get a true flat back canoe you definitely need to make sure you don't overpowered it, you're right that they become unstable or squatty when you get anywhere near a 6HP motor. Weight is a gigantic consideration and overpowering one is likely to break the boat, they really aren't designed to go fast.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wenonah Backwater. If you want to focus on paddling Wenonah makes amazing canoes that are super light. rated for 2-3hp though.

Get a gheenoe if you want something that can go fast. 15.4 runs great with a 15hp. I wouldn't ever want to paddle it any type of distance though. floating a river though wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Bote rover looks like it would fit the bill

But if you can find an older G-noe lowsider it will work up to a point . Some have attached oars with good results . I DO have a lowsider i may be willing to part with . but if I were U I would look into the Rover or Solo ;-)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My first boat was a 17' Smokercraft aluminum canoe paired with a 3.5HP Sears Gamefisher outboard. Was not a flat back. My father made a motor mount out of 2×4's. That canoe had what amounted to built in stabilizers. That little kicker pushed it well and was easy to take off for paddling. Never used in the salt, but on some large lakes that could get pretty rough. Never got dumped.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I first got my Gheenoe around 25 years ago, I tried paddling the boat by myself from the rear seat - absolute nightmare, especially if going into or cross-wind. After two or three times experiencing that misery, I always made certain that I had at least my trolling motor. With two people paddling, Gheenoes are fine. A few years after buying the boat, I picked up a trick from a buddy who used to fish by himself from a canoe -- paddling and fishing from the front seat. What a difference; like night and day!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yup this all day long !!! I have a low sider , very marginal ...

Get a jonboat, nothing mentioned above will be as stable, light, or pole like a jon. Forget what the Gheenoe people say they dont run shallow as a joboat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get a jonboat, nothing mentioned above will be as stable, light, or pole like a jon. Forget what the Gheenoe people say they dont run shallow as a joboat.
I would have to take exception to the quote above. Some "jon boats" are more stable than Gheenoes some are not. Within the Gheenoe product line some models are more stable than others. Lots of factors go into what makes a boat right for an individual. Best advice IMHO is try out any boat before you buy and see first hand how it fits your needs. There are lots of good manufacturers and styles of boats in the price range that the original poster gave.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
Jon boats paddle like garbage, but they row well if you take the motor off and keep them light. I ran a 1430 for a couple years with only oars and a push pole, I eventually added a bow mounted trolling motor and could go anywhere I wanted in the bay.

Are you wanting a planing hull and do you have any interest in building something if you don’t want a jon boat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned canoes, jons and a 15 ft. gheenoe. I didn't find small or narrow jons to be good for me at all, but a 16ft. wider jon is probably the best inexpensive all around boat I know of. But you really can't paddle one, rowing is marginal, and they can be too big for some creeks and launch sites. The canoe is cheap and you can paddle, but stability was not enough for me and you are limited in the distance you can go in a short period so you have to launch close to the fish--prefer a kayak between the 2. The 15 ft Gheen is a great boat, maybe the best of all for certain shallow water uses. I found it hard to paddle but you can row from the middle or paddle a short ways. Ok to pole although it made more noise than I expected. The Gheen will go anywhere a canoe can go and ran ok, for me, with anything from a 3.3 to a 9.9 so you can cover a lot of ground to get to the creek or area you want to fish. The downside with the Gheen is that you need a trailer but I launched plenty of times with no ramp--not saying it was always easy. Also, it isn't good for bigger waters when the wind blows or there are large boat wakes. It would not be hard to get swamped and you will hear stories about this if you ask around. Also, the Gheen is stable only in comparison to a canoe. Still, the Gheen is hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.