Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plays with Glass...
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at the end of building a 14 foot glue and stitch paddleboard.

I plan on priming, and painting the bottom half with Interlux Topside Flag Blue. The hull will have a single layer of 6oz plain weave.

The plans call for a "fill coat" of epoxy to fill the weave on the 6 oz glass prior to sanding and applying varnish, or in my case primer.

To me a "fill coat" seems like a waste of epoxy, and adds zero strength. Was thinking that veil or scrim would work better for filling the weave, and sanding.

Whats your thoughts, opinion, tricks for this scenario?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
134 Posts
Having built several wood paddle boards and kayaks, the Fill coat is so that you can varnish it. But since you’re not varnishing it I don’t see why it would make any difference to fair at using microballoons or glass spheres. It certainly does not add any Stranch, at least not that I’m aware of, and it is a very easy way to add some weight that is not needed

·
Plays with Glass...
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I was not aware that the fill coat was for varnish prep. The top is spruce and mahogany so a fill coat will happen there as it will be varnished.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
134 Posts
Awesome! I was not aware that the fill coat was for varnish prep. The top is spruce and mahogany so a fill coat will happen there as it will be varnished.
You may need two coats of epoxy. You can sand them down to 220 before varnish. Try to get it as smooth as possible because you will see flaws with the varnish. The schooner varnish is popular but I like md the epiphanes varnish better. it rolled and tipped real nice. Wet sand 400 grit between coats. Build up 6 coats for uv resistance.

·
Plays with Glass...
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may need two coats of epoxy. You can sand them down to 220 before varnish. Try to get it as smooth as possible because you will see flaws with the varnish. The schooner varnish is popular but I like md the epiphanes varnish better. it rolled and tipped real nice. Wet sand 400 grit between coats. Build up 6 coats for uv resistance.
Thanks for the advice.

The top will be 4 oz plain weave. I plan on using a 4" badger hair brush for tipping. Any advice there?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
134 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

The top will be 4 oz plain weave. I plan on using a 4" badger hair brush for tipping. Any advice there?
pick up a copy of nick shade’s strip built kayak book or look up his videos on YouTube. Also clcboats.com had some great videos. I use a foam roller and foam brushes, it works great. You can only go about a foot or so at a time, it takes a while (be patient and go slow) but it is beautiful when done.

·
Plays with Glass...
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
pick up a copy of nick shade’s strip built kayak book or look up his videos on YouTube. Also clcboats.com had some great videos. I use a foam roller and foam brushes, it works great. You can only go about a foot or so at a time, it takes a while (be patient and go slow) but it is beautiful when done.
I love Nicks channel, and my plans came from CLC. The Kaholo 14.

Is there a specific brand foam brush you use?

Those videos are priceless. Tips from a Shipwright on Total Boats channel is where I got the badger hair advice.

Ill have a spare 3 foot section of Okume to do test runs for tipping.

Attached pics to show where Im at in the build. EDIT: Thats actually the bottom side of the deck and has not been finish sanded or filled where the boards didnt joint correctly
hull.jpeg
top view.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts