Advice needed on electronics

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Pirates_Pride, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Pirates_Pride

Pirates_Pride I Love microskiff.com!

8443A4EF-52B8-4B34-B18B-7F042950D4A8.jpeg Guys....I recently bought and restored a 1998 Pathfinder 17T. It is a side console model and due to size and space restrictions it doesn’t have an easy way to mount a fishfinder/chart plotter combo unit using a traditional mount. I have seen somewhere in the past some flats skiffs with some fancy looking custom brackets/arms used to mount some significant size Garmin units where traditional mounting methods wouldn’t work. Thanks in advance if any of you have any ideas or pictures on how I could tackle this project.

2. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

RAM Mount! They make all kinds of bases, arms, balls, plates etc that you can use to mount a GPS to. I have one here in my work truck that holds my laptop and bolts into the passenger seat base. They make great, sturdy products.

timogleason likes this.

3. Pirates_Pride

Thanks Smackdaddy53 for the advice!

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  4. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

I have a RAM on my side console. Works fine...

5. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Yup...RAM Mount all the way. You can buy the pieces needed to customize your install.

6. Pirates_Pride

Thanks guys for the ideas! I will check out the Ram choices

7. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

I've personally never understood the purpose of big fancy sounder/chartplotters on poling skiffs. On my '98 17T, I went with a little cheap-o Lowrance, which does everything I need and fits nicely just to starboard of the wheel. There'd be plenty of room there for a wider display too -- not some kind of 12" touchscreen monster that costs more than your motor, but certainly a 5" or 7".

Edit to add this: If you haven't already discovered this, there's nowhere on the transom to mount a transducer, so the only real choice is to epoxy it the bottom of your bilge, which means less than stellar performance. Mine reads fine off plane, but loses touch a lot when running. Just something to keep in mind before investing a lot of money in a quality fishfinder that will likely be hamstrung by a shoot-through transducer mount.

15094880_1443716992322482_1858367037409088291_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  8. Pirates_Pride

I certainly understand your comments about why would someone want a bigger display on the skiff. I hate to admit it but due to my age, my vision isn’t what it used to be and the smaller screen I had mounted just like yours was not as easy for me to read. I do a lot of running at night in total darkness and easy viewing of my GPS track is a big help. I am also spoiled by the twin 12 inch screens I have in my sportfish boat!

9. zthomas

Well, vision is a good reason to run a bigger display. I meant only that a depth sounder isn't much use for navigation when you're running 25 mph in 14" of water nor much use for fishing in shallow water either. And, likewise, in the marshy, sandbar-y, mangrove-y, mutable areas most of run, a chartplotter isn't a whole lot of good either. I tend to use mine almost exclusively to see my speed, keep track of miles traveled (don't have a fuel gauge), and to see the depth in digits.

At any rate, if you have more questions about the boat, there are several guys here that are very familiar with them. I love mine -- quirky, rattly thing but a hell of a boat in its element.

I still bet you can fit a 7" display in basically the same spot as mine, mounted right to the deck.

10. zthomas

11. Panama1one

Panama1one I Love microskiff.com!

X2 on the eyes issue. Started with a 7. Now at a 9. Soon as i save enough money will have a 12.

DBStoots likes this.
  12. Egrets Landing

Egrets Landing Well-Known Member

That is definitely the case running a Garmin/Navionics chart. With an FMT chart in Florida, the opposite is true based on a plethora of actual user written testimonials over the last few years. Bigger screens are better for those running in the challenging areas and with vision concerns.

zthomas likes this.