Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time in a row that I had multiple shots at fish yesterday and nothing. Fish were on the bigger side and were happy, tailing fish. Got within 50’, casted in front of them and let fly sit until they were right over it, strip and nothing. Tried this multiple times. Should I have just casted right on them? I was throwing a vervakis mantis shrimp size 4 I think. Any pointers, fly recommendations?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Go to a very small crab pattern that matches the bottom color they're tailing on (and a long leader will help as well...). I'm talking a crabby that's no bigger than the size of a dime... Lay it out in front of them and just like before don't even move it until they're on top of it -then only twitch it once or twice and if it isn't jumped on them do a long slow strip and make another cast.

I long ago learned that tailers in the Bay can be super spooky (understatement) and that my best bet was always to wade at tailers if at all possible (and the bottom was firm enough to wade for them...). Oceanside of all the keys Sands all the way down to Key largo the bottom is great for wading - actually wading up inside the Bay itself can be tough since the bottom is a lot softer... Long before I took up guiding (before 1996...) a buddy and I used to get doubles on really big tailers (average 9lbs) that way as long as we stayed about 200 to 300 feet apart on foot, oceanside...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts