Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about adding a jack plate on my 154 Gheenoe. My goal is to get the prop a bit higher to allow shallower running.

currently running mercury 9.9 four stroke with a 2 1/2” riser plate. The cavitation plate is lined up with the middle of the boat drain.

Would I be able to raise it higher with some setback?

· Registered
259 Posts
I had a 154 gheenoe with a 9.8 hatsu 2 stroke and honestly I did not notice too much of a difference after I added the jackplate. It did run a bit shallower and it did look a lot more cool but in the end I am not too sure it was worth the extra $250.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Carl said plus a cupped prop . You will loose speed to run skinny ... Is it worth it answer "sometimes"
From the replies it seems that changing from my 2 1/2” riser plate to a jack plate won’t make much of a difference in draft. I’m surprised to hear you say that speed would be negatively affected. I thought with less motor dragging through the water I might pick up a bit of speed.

I know that you are somewhat of an expert on Gheenoes. What the shallowest running 154 that you’ve come across?

· Registered
4,533 Posts
Tom dylls was pretty skinny . my 13 footer with the little air cooled tanaka is amazing but runs 6 mph and is very loud

the main thing is to be forward with a long tiller extension

· Registered
638 Posts
Getting the foot higher is going to give you less drag and more speed. Go high enough and you will reach the point where you start getting ventilation in turns. Then you need more cup on your prop to help it hang on, that's where Dave is saying you will lose speed.

-- Carl

· Registered
419 Posts
I made a fixed jack plate out of aluminum angle and a piece of aluminum plate for my 15'4 - ended up with about 4" of set back and about 4.5" of lift. I have a stock aluminum prop on a 1996 9.9 Mariner (Mercury) and I get about 18mph out of it solo. I made a 2 piece tiller extension so I can stand farther forward when solo. I get about 14mph with my 230# son in the front.

· Registered
638 Posts
I tried three props on my Highsider, all factory three blade aluminum type. I got 21 mph at 6000 rpms with the 8.5 pitch in my "fishing alone" configuration (trolling motor, battery, cooler, fishing gear, etc). I got 17 mph at 5900 rpms with the 7.5 pitch with a fishing partner added to my solo setup. The 6.5 pitch could move any amount of weight at about 15 mph but begins to rev limit with lower payloads, you may not go very fast with it but the hole shot is impressive!

-- Carl

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried three props on my Highsider, all factory three blade aluminum type. I got 21 mph at 6000 rpms with the 8.5 pitch in my "fishing alone" configuration (trolling motor, battery, cooler, fishing gear, etc). I got 17 mph at 5900 rpms with the 7.5 pitch with a fishing partner added to my solo setup. The 6.5 pitch could move any amount of weight at about 15 mph but begins to rev limit with lower payloads, you may not go very fast with it but the hole shot is impressive!

-- Carl
I’ve tried 8”, 8.5”, and 9”. The factory 8.5 is the best performing one. My numbers are about the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.