Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member of fishing forums and have been lurking here for a bit while i get more knowledge and info before i start the build. I am from the Tampa Bay area. where would you guys recommend getting marine plywood in the Tampa Bay area? i will probably get most of my fiberglass and supplies from FGCI.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Welcome. Lots of good people and information here. I’m wanting to build a skiff myself. It’s a toss up up between this one and a Conchfish. Two totally different builds. Just trying to weigh my wants and what I actually need the boat to do. I’m in Georgia and if I go this route I will probably order marine ply from Boat Builder Central in Fort Pierce. I’m sure someone will chime in here as there should be several options around Tampa.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,366 Posts
Welcome John. Can't help with materials source, but there are a wealth of knowledgable folks on here who can. Great feedback on projects like you're about to embark on, too.

Good luck with the build and post progress reports. Those type of threads are among the most popular and informative.

·
BBA Counselor
6,836 Posts
True, good, BS1088 marine plywood is getting harder and harder to find since everyone is converting over to composites like foam and honeycomb. I was never able to find any real suppliers in the Bay area, so I bought my stuff from boat builder central in Vero. Plus I'm building an FS17 and was already ordering from them. If you do find one, don't let them order it, make sure you can see the product before you buy it!

That said, a few notes. I was not super happy with the Okoume plywood I bought from them this time. It was not Joubert, but it was stamped BS1088. The cores and veneers were not all equal. The Worst issue, that has caused me months of extra work, was the plywood was not cut square, so it through off all my measurements and joints. Not what I would have expected buying 1/4" plywood at $100+ a sheet.

FGCI has some pretty top notch stuff. Their 2:1 laminating resin is the best I have used. Good work time, forgiving mix ratio, and does not heat up much at all. It is a little thicker then some other brands, but wets out about the same.

All that said. If there is a composite option for your build I would take it. This will be my last plywood build I think, the composites, like carbon core, have come down in price so much, and are easier or more consistent to work with I feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. Lots of good people and information here. I’m wanting to build a skiff myself. It’s a toss up up between this one and a Conchfish. Two totally different builds. Just trying to weigh my wants and what I actually need the boat to do. I’m in Georgia and if I go this route I will probably order marine ply from Boat Builder Central in Fort Pierce. I’m sure someone will chime in here as there should be several options around Tampa.
I like the Conchfish but the FRS looked a bit easier for a first time builder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All that said. If there is a composite option for your build I would take it. This will be my last plywood build I think, the composites, like carbon core, have come down in price so much, and are easier or more consistent to work with I feel.
Thanks for the info, the company says it has to be wood. Thats what i like about some other plans like the ones by Chris Morejohn is that they are using all composite material but i felt plywood would probably be easiest for a first time builder. I have experience with wood working and fiberglass but its not very in depth.

·
BBA Counselor
6,836 Posts
I honestly think the plywood makes it a little harder sometimes. Because it tends to move with humidity changes, even in a garage, and the plywood may have different flaws or characteristics from one sheet to the next. Composites don't, they are consistent.

This is my 4th build, but knowing what I know now I would tell my younger self to make a small cheap boat/canoe/kayak to learn the process. Then build what I really want out of the materials I want, whatever that might be.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,630 Posts
One nice thing about plywood is impact resistance. Plywood is also a little stiffer than foam, so it's more likely to stay fair. If you aren't careful you can put waves in the foam pretty easily.

All that being said, my build is foam core. It's very easy to sand and I feel like I can make more complex shapes if I need -- you could even glue it together to make a block and carve it into whatever you want before glassing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Humidity and plywood is a concern for me as well. I will be building outside under a steel carport. I’ll definitely drop some plastic down the sides when it comes time to paint though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts