??? about mounting a transducer

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by mark_gardner, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i have always mounted my transducers to the back of the transom because i hear thats the best place for the best accuracy. i was thinking about mounting my new transducer inside the bilge area with resin. any comments or suggestions from the peanut gallery ?? :D ;D

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://midlandsstriperclub.homestead.com/Installing_A_Shoot-thru.pdf

3. mark_gardner

sorry brett but your link no el' workos on my puter :( so with my hull being about 3/8" thick and bonding the transducer in a bed of resin would i expect similar results as far a accuracy is concerned as opposed to the transom mount?

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Re: ??? about mounting a

http://midlandsstriperclub.homestead.com/Installing_A_Shoot-thru.pdf

5. mark_gardner

thanks brett :cool: i'm gonna give it a shot but of course i'll need to pick up the d.f. first ;) ;D

6. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Southbound I read somewhere to temporarily mount the transducer for testing, the best medium is Vaseline. Slide it around till you find the best spot with the least amount of interference.

7. mark_gardner

thats a good tip, thanks gramps :cool:

8. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I had to do that on my gheenoe. It can only be done on 100% glass hulls, if it's wood cored or foam cored it won't work correctly. Remember the transducer needs to be atleast 15 inches away from the prop, and should be set in place with epoxy on bare fiberglass.

PS the temp reading will not work

9. mark_gardner

thats good info also, thanks. the bilge area of the fin and feather is glass and at the thickest point maybe 1/2". not to concerned about water temps as this boat will pretty much be a creek/ shallow water/ almost dry land redfish slayer :D i'm pretty much needing something that will tell me where the deeper holes are at but as far as temps go..... well, if i cant crank my reel cause its iced up then its too cold for me and i'm heading for the shack LOL...  :eek::D ;D

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Are we still talking about transducers?   :eek:

Oh, c'mon, that's funny...you're just jealous 'cause I saw it first!   ;D

11. mark_gardner

i can see how his response could easily be misconstrude :eek: ;D

12. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

so could yours... ;)

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

C'mon, quit tryin' to act like you need a deeper hole...
    ;)

14. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Brett, you crack me up....lol

;D ;D ;D

15. Big_Fish

Big_Fish Well-Known Member

I just bought a cuda 300 going to mount inside somewhere or trolling motor because unit is right there in front too!

But fast cure 5200 at walmart $8.00 or so sets in 24hrs

16. mark_gardner

are you sure you want to mount that thing in 5200??? gonna be there a while ;)