Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed that the Abel Super is no longer on the Abel site for build/purchase. Has anyone heard if Abel is discontinuing or redesigning the Super?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was planning to order one and saw the same thing. When I reached out, they said there was at least a 6 Mos backlog and they weren't taking any new orders until they caught up. Hope that's true and not a discontinue!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I called to find out about getting my nipper blades replaced and was told it would be at least 3 months before they could do anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning to order one and saw the same thing. When I reached out, they said there was at least a 6 Mos backlog and they weren't taking any new orders until they caught up. Hope that's true and not a discontinue!
Hopefully you're right, but on their site you can still build/order the SDS/Vaya/etc.

I ordered an SDS from Abel maybe 6 months ago and it took them 4 months to deliver. I wasn't worried about the wait at all, when I called them they explained their supply chain issues and told them I completely understood.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did a quick Google for the reel. 600 to 1200 from what I saw. I spin and fly fish but cannot understand why people are willing to spend that much on a line holder. That’s all fly reels do! I’ve caught some big fish on fly. Drag barely matters because you palm it…..I don’t get it. I use a 20 year old Cayuga. Works great. I’ll sell you my Cayuga with three spools for a grand. Royal Wolff line included.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did a quick Google for the reel. 600 to 1200 from what I saw. I spin and fly fish but cannot understand why people are willing to spend that much on a line holder. That’s all fly reels do! I’ve caught some big fish on fly. Drag barely matters because you palm it…..I don’t get it. I use a 20 year old Cayuga. Works great. I’ll sell you my Cayuga with three spools for a grand. Royal Wolff line included.

Is there a reason my wife spends a lot on shoes? Or why anyone spends $400 on a le creuset Dutch oven when a lodge works just fine? Or buying any jewelry? Or whatever you’ve spent a large amount on. We buy Abel’s because we want to and have the disposal income to put down on them. It’s also rewarding to spend money on an American company where every reel is hand made to order. Snide comments of “how could you spend that much on a reel??” are ridiculous, I have the ability to buy an Abel, and I really like them, so I shall buy more of them.

Also, if you claim that fly reels don’t “need drag” and “you can just palm them” you haven’t caught a big fish on fly. I’ve palmed a reel on max drag that spun into the backing and that was more than unpleasant.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
143 Posts
I wonder if thats part of the reason the older version of the supers are selling for so high on Ebay. I've purchased several supers on there before and got them at pretty fair prices. They last few months I havnt seen many deals.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Had to read it a few times. You must mean disposable income… whatever Chief.
Why so mad?
What does is matter what anyone else spends their money on? Why buy a hells bays a Caroilna Skiff floats on top of the water the same way right. Evidently you have never fished a freshwater fly reel in the salt it won't last as long.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if thats part of the reason the older version of the supers are selling for so high on Ebay. I've purchased several supers on there before and got them at pretty fair prices. They last few months I havnt seen many deals.
I remember when the Super 6/7 got discontinued and got heavily discounted, similar to when Abel did the last redesign to the Super and the old version went on fire sale. If that's the case and they redesign the Super again maybe we'll get lucky with another sale.

I think the reason a lot of used reels are demanding higher prices right now is due to the massive backlog in production. I know that Tibor is in a similar boat with massive backlogs too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I remember when the Super 6/7 got discontinued and got heavily discounted, similar to when Abel did the last redesign to the Super and the old version went on fire sale. If that's the case and they redesign the Super again maybe we'll get lucky with another sale.

I think the reason a lot of used reels are demanding higher prices right now is due to the massive backlog in production. I know that Tibor is in a similar boat with massive backlogs too.
I hope that's the case because the newest version of the supers is bangin

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,655 Posts
This is a tired dead old horse comment. If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a (insert whatever here) then don't. I have spent my money on custom Abel nippers and 2 custom Abel reels this year because, just like @Alexander Wilcox said, I can and I want to. Instead of why so mad, the question should be why are you worried what other people are spending their money on.

Back to the topic at hand, I need to check on about Able dropping the Super. I want to order a 12W for blue water stuff. Might need to drop my order sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@jay.bush1434 Looks like you may have to order from an authorized dealer unfortunately, or maybe give Abel a call soon. I'm kicking myself for not ordering that underwood moondance this past summer...such an awesome reel. My wife even told me I should order it for my birthday back in July but I never got around to doing it since Abel's been backlogged

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1998 Egret 167 C/K
221 Posts
This is a tired dead old horse comment. If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a (insert whatever here) then don't. I have spent my money on custom Abel nippers and 2 custom Abel reels this year because, just like @Alexander Wilcox said, I can and I want to. Instead of why so mad, the question should be why are you worried what other people are spending their money on.

Back to the topic at hand, I need to check on about Able dropping the Super. I want to order a 12W for blue water stuff. Might need to drop my order sooner rather than later.
I know where you can get a beauty of a Super 12 for a nice price...

·
Registered
802 Posts
@jay.bush1434 Looks like you may have to order from an authorized dealer unfortunately, or maybe give Abel a call soon. I'm kicking myself for not ordering that underwood moondance this past summer...such an awesome reel. My wife even told me I should order it for my birthday back in July but I never got around to doing it since Abel's been backlogged
Holy shit. I’m not a fan of graphics on my reels but that is one beautiful reel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What does is matter what anyone else spends their money on? Why buy a hells bays a Caroilna Skiff floats on top of the water the same way right. Evidently you have never fished a freshwater fly reel in the salt it won't last as long.
Never said I cared what anyone spent their money on. I said I cannot understand why someone would spend so much money on something that has such a minor purpose. My reel has been fished in saltwater for about 15 years. She’s in perfect condition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts