Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying an Abel Super 7/8 for my new 8 weight rod. I have two Abels now so am familiar with them generally, (larger models) but wonder about the Super 7/8. I have read some criticisms of the reel because of a lack of backing capacity when used with a 8 weight line. I like the weight and size of the 7/8 on an 8 weight rod after casting with several different reels of various weights.

I'm planning on using Threadlock 50 lb. so I am not too concerned about being able to put enough backing on, but thought I'd ask before purchase. What is your experience with this particular model of Abel and fishing them with an 8 weight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Full disclosure - I am a big fan of Abel.

I use the 7/8N all the time and its a great reel. Great. The complaints about its capacity are valid but only to a point. I use braid for all my backing so capacity is not an issue. Super reel for redfish, bonefish, etc.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I think the newer super 7/8 is designed to address the backing capacity issue of the older 7/8n.
I fish a 7/8n on my 7 WT no issues with 230 yds of 40 hollow ace and line. I picked up another 7/8n for an 8 wt and found that the reel was crammed at 200 yds with fly line.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Here's the bottom line. This is a 7/8 wt reel. How much backing do you really need! The guys who say OMG that bonefish ran 200 yards are the same guys that post a video of a little chop saying how their boat handles 3 footers....:D:D

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Here's the bottom line. This is a 7/8 wt reel. How much backing do you really need! The guys who say OMG that bonefish ran 200 yards are the same guys that post a video of a little chop saying how their boat handles 3 footers....:D:D
While true, 200 yards is a pretty standard backing capacity for any 8 weight reel on the market. Is it all needed? Probably not, but it's also nice knowing you have full capacity in case you get a chance to cast at something else. I was bonefishing last year in the keys, and had a big permit pop up out of nowhere. My choice was either to cast with the rod I already had in my hand which was an eight weight, or watch it swim off. I didn't have enough time to switch rods.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, an actual 100 yards would be a huge run by any bonefish, much less 200. I’ve caught plenty with a reel that essentially had not much drag but my thumb. But, there is that slight chance of hooking up to more fish than you figured on. And then there’s the part about how I am overthinking my tackle makeover.

I really like the size of the 7/8 and from casting different weight reels on the rod I think it will balance out right. I’m kinda down to the 7/8 or a Super 8, maybe depending on what pops up at what price.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
One advantage to the Super 8 is that you can put a Big Game No. 3 spool (smaller arbor) and load stupid amounts of backing if you want, or even have it do double duty for a 10wt or something.

At least, that used to be the case -- not sure about the newest reels.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
While true, 200 yards is a pretty standard backing capacity for any 8 weight reel on the market. Is it all needed? Probably not, but it's also nice knowing you have full capacity in case you get a chance to cast at something else. I was bonefishing last year in the keys, and had a big permit pop up out of nowhere. My choice was either to cast with the rod I already had in my hand which was an eight weight, or watch it swim off. I didn't have enough time to switch rods.
Oh absolutely but there is zero reason to shy away from a reel because its backing capacity is a bit on the short side. Easy work around with braid backing. Even a 7/8N holds 300 or more yards of braid. And this has been debated on here at length but there are a ton of advantages to using braid anyway, IMO.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One advantage to the Super 8 is that you can put a Big Game No. 3 spool (smaller arbor) and load stupid amounts of backing if you want, or even have it do double duty for a 10wt or something.

At least, that used to be the case -- not sure about the newest reels.
I recently found a Super 8 spool for my old No. 3 Big Game reel. So now I have that reel on my 9 weight outfit. Its a solid frame so kinda heavy, but the Super 8 spool makes it about 2-3 oz. lighter. The old spool has 275 of 30# and will be set up with a sinking line.

The newer Super 8 reels are very ported and pretty light, so are in contention with the newest 7/8. Kinda still like the slightly larger arbor on the latest Supers.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh absolutely but there is zero reason to shy away from a reel because its backing capacity is a bit on the short side. Easy work around with braid backing. Even a 7/8N holds 300 or more yards of braid. And this has been debated on here at length but there are a ton of advantages to using braid anyway, IMO.
Yep, I am leaning that way. I’m putting Threadlock on the new rigs anyway. Probably refill the old rigs with TL over time. I’ll have more posts and pics about that in my braided loop thread. It’s all coming together now.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Just to clarify so guys don't get confused.
1. There is no such thing as a "new Super 8".
2. The new Super 7/8 has the exact same capacity as the older Super 7/8 N and they weigh almost the same ..its 0.06 ounces lighter than the N.
3. The difference between the 7/8N and the new 7/8 is the configuration of the reel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2. The new Super 7/8 has the exact same capacity as the older Super 7/8 N and they weigh almost the same ..its 0.06 ounces lighter than the N.
3. The difference between the 7/8N and the new 7/8 is the configuration of the reel.
I started the confusion. I began with an original Abel Big Game #3 which I bought back in the day. Old school spool, that holds 275 of 30# and a 10 weight line. That model happens to be the basis for a Super 8. (the 3.9” diameter spool model) But the Super 8 is only new compared to my old reel from the late 80s. The later versions of that reel got more porting and are lighter than the older solid frame reels. So I should have written “later model Super 8s”.

I played with the current version 7/8 today and I’m not sure I like the new quick change spool system. But I could probably get used to it. Anyone have experience with the latest model Supers?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I called Abel last year because I was looking at the new super 8 and had questions about the difference between the new version and the older N version. I could have sworn they told me it had a larger backing capacity. Either way fantastic reels. With 40 lb hollow core you should be able to have a pretty good capacity.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a 7/8 with 7wt line I primarily use for redfish. No issues there at all with backing. And agree, 200 yards is A LOT of backing - think of 2 football fields of line. The only fish I've seen come close to that is a marlin on fly. People think bonefish take 100 yards, they don't. Get a good low diameter line and you are set.

Now I have been on a 6 wt and cast to a school of cruising bones while self guiding in Los Roques and there was a larger blue runner in the group. It slammed my fly and ran for Cuba - never been so worried about having enough backing - I actually had to run down the beach and chase the fish. Probably had 150 yards out - it was a larger arbor reel, so backing was maybe 175. I landed it though, but man that was a lot of cranking to get that line in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OT, but I'd sure like to go back to Los Roques. Best place ever for me.

And thanks for the comments on the reel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have absolutely NEW 7/8 in custom blue3 color, I may sale. I like the new Super spool removal, just need to get used to it.

I may sell my 7/8 blue3 as i decided to make bolder statement (!) and buy it -and 12W!- in .. RED :)

Best Abel reel in my pinion. Simply and still bullet proof. I do not like look of SDS even if it may be better - perhaps (?)

I can send pictures and contact etc..PM me if needed.

(Is going to Los Roques even possible now??? On my bucket list per sure)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe if the price was right, but I’m partial to black. Send a message if you want.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have absolutely NEW 7/8 in custom blue3 color, I may sale. I like the new Super spool removal, just need to get used to it.

I may sell my 7/8 blue3 as i decided to make bolder statement (!) and buy it -and 12W!- in .. RED :)

Best Abel reel in my pinion. Simply and still bullet proof. I do not like look of SDS even if it may be better - perhaps (?)

I can send pictures and contact etc..PM me if needed.

(Is going to Los Roques even possible now??? On my bucket list per sure)
Not for sale but here's some motivation. One of my favorites!

IMG_20190314_213258603.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
… have two original Super 7 reels with extra Super and BG spools … also have a Super 2, 4, 6, 8, and two Super 9, 11, & 12 reels with extra spools for all … as you can tell I like the Super Series … Tibors and a Hatch round-out my reels… the original Super 7 carries even less backing but if that ever concerned me I'll switch to a BG spool, or put Toro Tamer/Threadlock on a large arbor … of course Abel's fame is its quality/durability/reliability (as with a couple of other reel manufactures) and the Super Series distinction is its design and drag system … I think the word Super in the model name refers to the drag system … and Abel always has the small springs and screws in stock if my buddy Glen (Livet) loses one ... just got back from BLZ and the Super 7/CCGLX8wt handled bones (nothing big), snook (largest 10+ lbs), & juvees (up to 12lbs) … although none got into the backing the drag came in handy keeping Mr. Linesider out of his hideaway of submerged trees and limbs … now the permits always get into the backing on my Super 9 but that's another thread ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts