Abel SDS Reels?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by ifsteve, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

i didn't see anything like that stated on the Abel warranty page.

Rick hambric likes this.
  2. Finn Maccumhail

Finn Maccumhail I Love microskiff.com!

Good deal. I stand corrected.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

3. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

If you are going on a GT trip get whatever you want. I know if I had that opportunity I’d probably just take my bone fisher that I found at the pawn shop but the only way I’m going on a GT trip is if someone backs out and I get to fill in. At that point it’s all good anyway.
    My only advice would be that price isn’t always indicative of quality. I’d look for a good sealed drag that has been around for a while with better than average reviews.

And a clicker. I’d get one with a unique clicker. Like one that can play a tune or something.
    If you hook into a big GT you will get plenty of music.

Good luck man.

sjrobin and Rick hambric like this.
  4. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

Guess it’s not, but I don’t delete post after I insulted someone....I didn’t t bash or degridade any company, you asked opinions and one was given.... no need to be uncivil like the quote above...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    sjrobin likes this.
  5. ifsteve

Rick then go back and read the very first post. I specifically asked to stick to THIS reel and the first thing you reply is to go get a Tibor. Sorry if I was pissed but I asked for opinions on the SDS and nothing else.

6. ifsteve

There now I feel better. Think I'll go fishing. Gotta try out my buddy's new Tibor. :D

Rick hambric likes this.
  7. Rick hambric

Tried, true, & proven. Also a sealed version as well. So, sorry for my honest opinion? Go have fun testing your buddy’s reel.

8. mosquitolaGOON

mosquitolaGOON Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I got an email from Abel stating that opening the gold housing on the SDS does not void warranty. That was my only concern, however I still went Tibor because of brand loyalty.

Rick hambric likes this.
  9. k-roc

k-roc Active Member

Jeff Patterson is a great guy and of course he will say Abel, he's the president. The Ross is made of 6061-T6 and the Abel is 6061-T651. We probably need an engineer to chime in and let us know if there is a difference here.
    Of course you can open up the drag on these, that is how you convert them from right to left. If you're not sure, get the shop guy to do it for you.
    Nobody needs 30 lbs of drag. It's possible that if you cranks the drag all the way on one of these that you will break your tippet off, bend open the hook, snap a fly line, or rip the lips right off that GT. But maybe you will use 20 lbs, or 25 lbs. Hard to say but you probably never want to have the drag maxed out anyway, it probably works best somewhere in the middle of its range.

Apparently guys who live in remote places like Belize prefer to use the cork drags as they are easy to maintain and rarely fail. They don't like sand though, and I guess they are not that good with GTs!

10. Rick hambric

The difference between t6 & t651 is in post extrusion only. they have the exact same chemical composition. the t6 is artificially aged where the t651 is stress relieved, straitened, then artificially aged. the t651 will machine slightly better as it will have less movement from the removal of material and thermal stress.(meaning it makes finer lines in the milling process.) so the only difference is in the finishing ability and minute reduced labor between the two. there is no difference in the mechanical properties so one is not stronger than the other. (3rd generation ironworker and owner of family steel business so I might know what what im talking about)

el9surf, squeezer1 and Fritz like this.
  11. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

More a comment on sealed drags vs. cork (instead of a manufacturing debate)...

But when I went to the Seychelles I had 2 sealed drags give me trouble (1 Tibor Sig and 1 Bauer RX). The guides there told me they for the most part they have ditched sealed drags and are using their Gulfstreams / Abels instead of the sealed versions. Just FWIW

BTW - which island are you going to? Happy to share my experience from Alphonse

Rick hambric likes this.
  12. ifsteve

We are going to Providence.

Rick hambric likes this.
  13. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

V jealous! That should be awesome

GT fishing on Alphonse the week I was there was pretty bad. I had one exhilirating experience with a big one that came off ~10 min into the fight, can't wait to go back. Had good success with everything else though (milkfish, indo permit, triggers)