A question on repairing your bottom

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by menzor29, Mar 21, 2014.

1. menzor29

menzor29 Well-Known Member

Ive had my ipb16 for sometime now and i fish with it regularly from Steinhatchee to Crystal river and most of this area is covered with oyster mounds and rock . So inevitably I have crossed a few on a fast tide or with out paying attention poled myself right on top of one. Today while giving her a super clean, where every knook and crannie are wiped and inspected, I decided to get up underneath her and really inspect the bottom. Needless to say there were quite a few scratches followed by some deeper ones. No real gouges but some were definitely past the gel-coat. So the question is when would i want to flip it, sand it, re-glass it and paint the bottom? Is this something a boat owner should do once a year, every other year or only when it gets bad enough to affect the fiberglass? Or should i just fill the bad gouges and not worry about the rest.
    With my 2 previous boats I never worried about such things just rode'em till they fell apart, I guess attitudes change with age.

2. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

I would definetly repair the deep ones because water intrusion could start a delaminating issue.

The repair could be as basic as marinetex or do a gelcoat paste thing and sand.

3. menzor29

menzor29 Well-Known Member

Kinda what i was figuring.