Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Freestone market has moved to complete lunacy I would like to buy the Abel that
is approximately the same size. I like the old style round porting so I realize it will be an older reel and that's fine with me. I have looked at the Abel discontinued chart online and there are so many 2s,3s,Ns, Big Games, Supers I can't figure out what I should be searching for and how to identify one once I have a reel model to target.

Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
80 Posts
although I'm not that familiar with the Freestone, I do own Abels … what rod(s)/weight size will the Abel go on? … and what fish are you targeting? … Abel has a fairly well laid-out and in-depth specs page on their website …

· Registered
682 Posts
The Super series is probably what you want, although the porting is not circular. The Supers are basically Big Games with large arbors and a different porting design.

For a 5 or 6 weight rod, and for as big a fish as you might use that for, a Super 6 would be nice. If you’re fishing for trout and panfish that reel would be overkill. A click drag type reel might be a better choice.

What are you fishing for and where?

· Premium Member
839 Posts
Auto part
Metal
my go to 5/6 reel is a Big Game #1, and I can't say enough about it for a reel that's 16 years old and has seen almost nothing but salt water. If you want a large arbor, look for an older Super 6.
@Tx_Whipray you are correct. The BG #1 (on right) is closest to Freestone. The BG #2 (on left) is more of an 8 weight reel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.