Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m kinda stuck using Garmin, once one boat is set up it’s really hard to change brands, retyping a billion ‘secret’ spots is painful to think about.

So first question; if my current Garmin uses an SD card and I buy another that uses a micro SD card, is it really as simple as getting the $4 adapter to make the micro card fit into the SD card slot on the Garmin?

Second, and less important, do I have other brand options? I mean can I easily move waypoints between brand x and Garmin?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Look up EasyGps on the 'net... It's a free program that allows you to load all your waypoints on the program - then download it from there to any other gps....

I've been using it for years and years as my anchor point. I use relatively cheap Garmin handhelds and when one craps out I can buy a new one, hook it up to my computer then download all my waypoints with the touch of a key...

Very handy. I had great difficulty with early gps "navigator" type programs that were very hard to understand or use properly (I'm not exactly very computer literate..). EasyGps saved my waypoints and is always at hand when needed to either retrieve all of them or re-load a more up to date version any time I need it...

Needless to say folks wanting to sell you something won't mention a free program...

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,643 Posts
928957B8-A27F-4A43-BFDE-5FE8FF97B39F.png 578A9697-177F-4750-8989-3B51E5193EDE.png 8F87FB86-5205-48B2-A0DB-9995E42792E3.png
I’m kinda stuck using Garmin, once one boat is set up it’s really hard to change brands, retyping a billion ‘secret’ spots is painful to think about.
I used to use the BlueChart app on my phone to back up my Garmin. Then exported a GPX file that I imported into my Simrad when I switched.

The Simrad My Link app is NOT a standalone GPS like BlueChart

And I still use the Bluechart app as a backup GPS chart plotter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts