Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of us here I like to explore new areas with my skiff. Recently I took my Gheenoe LT25 to the West Side of the Okefenokee Swamp to Stephen C. Foster State Park in Georgia located just outside of Fargo, GA. In my opinion this area is a hidden gem to visit at this time of year when the temperatures are cooler and the bugs are not bad either. The park has a horsepower limit of 10 HP. Unlike the NMZ near Titusville all you have to do here to comply is remove your propeller from any motor over 10 HP and leave it in your vehicle. During my day trip I used a 55 lb thrust trolling motor on a single 12 volt batter and traveled over 5 miles and still had plenty of charge at the end of the day. The silent approach with a trolling motor will give you more opportunities to see wildlife so even if you have a 10 HP or less on your boat I would still suggest using an electric trolling motor.

Yesterday I went to the East Side of the Okefenokee and it too was a very interesting trip. The East and the West side are very different in character and both worth a visit. I will post the East Side video at a later date once I get it completed. Both locations have excellent ramps to launch your skiff from. Be sure to call ahead to check water levels, some bigger skiffs due to width may have some limitations at lower water.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,131 Posts
That was a great video. I thought it was PBS
I have been there many times to photograph Alagators. We just rented a John Boat with a motor. That was years ago so they may not have them now

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video. Did you run across Pogo?
I may have not known his name, was that a big gator?

In regards to the other post, they still rent jon boats with motors if you don't want to bring your own boat. They also rent canoes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pogo Possum,the most famous resident of the Okefenokee. Presidential candidate, (I Go Pogo!) poet and philosopher he coined the phrase "we have met the enemy and they is us." The fact that he was a comic strip character (1943-1976) should not detract from his stature as the leading citizen of the Okefenokee.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
WoW ! that is awesome !

Is that all No-Wake Zone ?

How exactly do they determine your "actual" horsepower ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WoW ! that is awesome !

Is that all No-Wake Zone ?

How exactly do they determine your "actual" horsepower ?
The only posted no wake zone is in the canal that leads from the marina to Billy's Lake (main waterway). There are plenty of logs in the water so speed is not your friend.

I did not see a dynamometer at the ramp so I guess they gauge your horsepower by whats on your cowling.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are a couple of pictures from the trip to the east side of the Okefenokee Swamp. The colors in the swamp this time of year made it a real treat.

[/IMG]

There was no wind and the water mirrored the environment.

Many times I saw birds like this crane and gators hanging out together

Red Cypress Blue Sky

The king of the swamp

This is the video from the trip to the East side of the Okefenokee Swamp:

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,092 Posts
Nice. We took a family trip to the Okefenokee once when I was a kid. I still remember it well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts