'97 ignition on Johnsom 25hp

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Swamp, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Continued from general discussion:

I have a j25reum Johnson (25 hp tiller, manual start & tillt, with a long shaft).  Plate says '96, but BRP confirmed the serial is a '97 production year.

The motor sat for about a year, which is usually just a fuel issue, so I did a fuel system check/clean, no problems there.  Squirted a little fuel in the carb after a tear down and clean, nothing.  Pulled the plugs and dried them off, reinstalled them with the same results.  Tried ether (starting fluid), not even a hick up.

Pulled the again pugs and checked for fire with a special plug that clamps onto ground.  Nothing on either cylinder.  Not happy.  :mad:

So this is what I have done other than the above:

Continuity test of kill switch =good
    Continuity check of spark plug leads =good (one needed to be disassembled and cleaned)

Ohms tests:

Charging coil = good
    Sensor coil = good
    Both ignition coils, primary and secondary on each = good
    Spark leads = good

Visual inspection and cleaning (especially the grounds) of all components:
    All okay except the charging coil which has leaked a small amount of resin onto the ignition plate but the ohms are still dead on.
    The grounding surfaces of the the powerpack and ignition coils were in dire need of cleaning/polishing, as were the corresponding motor block surfaces.

I do not have a max volt output meter so I can not check:

The powerpack at all
    Volt tests for sensor, charging, or ignition coils.

My gut says it is not down stream of the powerpack since both plugs are not firing.  Since the charging coil has leaked some resin, it is suspect number one despite the correct ohm reading.  Since I cannot do the volt checks on it so I cannot rule it out though.

I have not cleaned off the magnets in the fly wheel, and will do that in th enext day or two.  As an FYI the magnets where scuffed about 10 years ago, but have function perfectly well since then.

About the only other thing I can think of is to take the powerpack and coils in for testing as soon as I find a shop in the area.  See the thread in general discussion.

Anything I'm missing?

Swamp

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

These guys do a much better job of 'splainin' than I do... ;)

http://www.outboardmotorsrepair.com/testing-charge-and-sensor-coils-and-ignition-module.html

http://www.outboardignition.com/tips.asp

3. Swamp

Well I ordered a charging coil. I should have it by Tuesday. We'll see.

Swamp

4. FlaRobb

FlaRobb I Love microskiff.com!

Does the motor have one of those dead-man switches and you forgot sbout the clip?

5. Swamp

Yup, it has a kill switch with clip. Everything is in working order there though, I do not get continuity through the circuit unless I push the kill button or I remove the clip. It was the first thing I checked when I realized I was not getting fire. Thanks though.

Swamp

6. Swamp

Yup, it has a kill switch with clip. Everything is in working order there though, I do not get continuity through the circuit unless I push the kill button or I remove the clip. It was the first thing I checked when I realized I was not getting fire. Thanks though.

Swamp