Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

95' fin and feather rebuild

9K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Thebirdman 
#1 ·
Got her with a 2014 25 hp Yamaha with only 14 hours and paid just around what the engine was worth for the whole set up and started the build on Easter!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
almost pulled the trigger on that one but found another one and bought it, doing the same thing you are doing but not rebuilding with wood and going tiller, love the gunnels and please share what your are going to put as rub rails, I also have to redo the transom it is completely rotten, my biggest issue is finding the time, rebuild looks great keep the pics coming.

#9 ·
That's my sons rebuilt. It's will be fully encapsulated in epoxy (not polyester resin) and fiberglass cloth. Rot won't be an issue and you would be surprised by the weight! All that plywood with epoxy and cloth about 132 lbs, that's with the heavy weight of the fiberglass well included. Posted a pic of my boat, built in 1998, only item that is not plywood is the console. Same method used, no rot.

Attachments

#18 ·
Glassing both side of the plywood I hope?

Remember, I'm no knocking you guys, just trying to help. I've fished out of a F&F and know the boat well. It does great when weight is proportionate to the boat and weight distributed is not too high concerning the center of gravity. Otherwise, it gets tippy.

#19 ·
Thanks , we always appreciate advice. When my son got the boat it had 3/4 ply throughout covered with polyester resin and cloth. We changed it all to 3/8, it's half the weight. It was Extremely heavy. The boat was tail heavy, everything was in the back. We are moving the gas tank to the front, battery to the console and livewell in the back, it will be empty most of the time as my son fishes almost exclusively artificial and fly! It should work out well. The underside of the deck does not have glass(not needed), it has three coats of epoxy, there will be no abrasion there. My boat is built the same way and haven't had 1 problem in 20 yrs. anything exposed to the sun gets glass with three coats of expoxy. It will all get primed with a 2 part epoxy primer and a good quality polyurethane paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.