90' Yamaha 85hp tuning suggestions? Procedure help

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Hunter1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Hunter1

Hunter1 I Love microskiff.com!

90' Yamaha CV85ETLD. Engine new to me. Previous owner rebuilt carbs and stated that he tuned it last time it ran 8-12 months ago.

What's the procedure to adjust the carbs? Or should this done in the water and if so how?

Just back off the water from a very frustrating first sea trial. Engine would run at idle fine, start fine, and then go into reverse with power. After that all down hill. Motor would cut out every time I tried to put into forward and then no power to start?
    Try again in idle no power to start...tilt motor works fine up and down. Somehow it will start again then same thing, fine in idle, dies out trying to go into forward gear. Then no power to start.

Paddle back to the dock. Take it over to the boat yard, put it on the flushers, engine starts fine multiple times, and runs in forward and reverse. It still breaks up over 3500 rpm. And yes there is no load. I now have no confidence to go back out again without addressing the issues

The biggest issue I "smell", is that it is running very rich and reeks of gas. A lot of gas. I have a separate oil injection unit feeding the motor. I also charged the battery just in case for 6 hrs with good readings before heading out.

Any help appreciated.

2. Hunter1

Any old 2 stroke guys out there?

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Order the factory OEM shop manual.
    In it you will find a complete step by step, with pictures,
    showing how to adjust the carb and linkages.
    All tech specs, torque specs and tools needed to work on that engine.

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Sounds like the previous owner or whoever didnt properly clean the carbs, then adjusted them to a set of dirty carbs so the motor would "run". If the carbs are clean there isn't much if any adjustment needed since yamaha usually has them adjusted pretty well, till someone screws with them that is...

5. Hunter1

Without making too big of deal out of it. Cleaning the carbs for the novice, would this be something the layman can tackle or best to send off to shop? I'm not finding too many two stroke, Yamaha guys out there... really frustrated.

6. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

I you have any carb experience at all, it'll be a breeze. Those carbs are really simple to strip, clean, rebuild, and re install. If you have never touched a carb, I would order the SM and then decide if you feel comfortable tackling the job.

If you have all the needed supplies we can most likely talk you through it if you run into a snag..