Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your pics. I have a Lowrance HDS Carbon 9" to be mounted on a Beavertail Micro Side Console and i am considering the Balzout mount. Looking for ideas and people smarter than me who have nailed their side console GPS mounts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I went with the 7” on my BT micro. I was afraid the 9” would be too big... should have went with the 9 as there’s plenty of room.

I used a RAM mount and I have a small aluminum backer plate. 45D3F678-2F19-404F-BBB6-5BFD20DB157B.jpeg 66D463F3-9BC2-40A4-8960-2B2C966CEA08.jpeg 65B4DF9A-65B5-4F96-9D16-2038634F10DE.jpeg 45D3F678-2F19-404F-BBB6-5BFD20DB157B.jpeg 66D463F3-9BC2-40A4-8960-2B2C966CEA08.jpeg 65B4DF9A-65B5-4F96-9D16-2038634F10DE.jpeg 45D3F678-2F19-404F-BBB6-5BFD20DB157B.jpeg

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol its not about the size of your GPS but the locations you take it. I have a 5 inch dragonfly but if I can find a pre owned Lowrance with marine tracks I would jump on it!!!!

I have the ram mount and they are great for quick removal and have different mount and stems locks that will support up to a 9 inch size unit. If you aren't storing outdoor than the Ballzout is the way to go. Just keep in mind the mounts get corrosion on the areas that you need to tighten and loosen. My ram need to get lubricated once every year to keep it easy to take on and off.

·
Panhandler
2,725 Posts
I'm very happy with my shelf on the Mosquito side console. Added rod and cup holder, too.

If you prefer an adjustable, a buddy just bought a Balzout mount and he loves it. Very solid engineering.

·
Registered
792 Posts
lol its not about the size of your GPS but the locations you take it. I have a 5 inch dragonfly but if I can find a pre owned Lowrance with marine tracks I would jump on it!!!!

I have the ram mount and they are great for quick removal and have different mount and stems locks that will support up to a 9 inch size unit. If you aren't storing outdoor than the Ballzout is the way to go. Just keep in mind the mounts get corrosion on the areas that you need to tighten and loosen. My ram need to get lubricated once every year to keep it easy to take on and off.
Be patient Raymarine will be compatible with FMT chips real soon!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thursday via email from fmt I was told it would be a year or more for raymarine. I have an axiom 9 and would love to fmt,thought about trading for simrad go.
Any other compatible 9" unit manufactured in the couple of years would be a better choice than a GO9 if used with ISLA charts. A video was released and posted by ISLA on recommended units and it goes into a lot of detail on GO units and why, even though they are supported, they don't recommend them for inshore boats.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ag
Any other compatible 9" unit manufactured in the couple of years would be a better choice than a GO9 if used with ISLA charts. A video was released and posted by ISLA on recommended units and it goes into a lot of detail on GO units and why, even though they are supported, they don't recommend them for inshore boats.
Agreed ,I learned with buying the axiom 9 with all the available options except radar of course, was a waste. Fishing floods and lows I don't need the bells and whistles. Evo 3 is too expensive for me to just be a chart plotter for unfamiliar water.looking into alternatives.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thursday via email from fmt I was told it would be a year or more for raymarine. I have an axiom 9 and would love to fmt,thought about trading for simrad go.
It’s because Raymarine has been taking their time to get the program needed. I just had the right person on my boat for a couple of days from Raymarine took him all over the Everglades and showed him the importance/benefit of that chip. Needless to say they will hopefully have the program done within in a month and sent over to FMT

·
Registered
929 Posts
It’s because Raymarine has been taking their time to get the program needed. I just had the right person on my boat for a couple of days from Raymarine took him all over the Everglades and showed him the importance/benefit of that chip. Needless to say they will hopefully have the program done within in a month and sent over to FMT
That would be awsome, thanks for the heads up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts