Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 foot classic gheenoe and I was wondering if I could run a 9.9 hp 2 stroke motor on it without any problems with me and one of my buddy's and some gear, the gheenoe is only rated for a 5hp max or 500lbs total weight and I weigh 150# the motor weighs 50# and my budy weighs 150# that's only 350# and I won't have 150# in gear haha so do you think it will run fine and be good, it won't sink or anything? I currently have a 4hp on it but its soo slow!

Thanks in advance for your opinion and help
- Josh

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how would I be able to make sure the motor won't come off? I really don't want to use a motor but I know I will have to be careful in choppy water so I don't crack the hull or anything but I plan on not running to far but I think I'm going to test it out this Thursday afternoon and just slowly speed up a little and stuff not just full throttle rightist of the gate because I'm a little nervous I've never been faster than like 10 mph on my gheenoe so it'll be different but I'm not looking to sling the motor off, so what should I do?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I don't bolt it on ill lose it? Because I just plan on the being trmporary and switching back and forth from my 4hp to the 9.9hp

·
Mostly Harmless
2,192 Posts
You'll be moving pretty quick for that hull. There is video in the commercial section of an Ambush running with a 9.9. He is moving pretty fast and I think your rig should be light enough to show comparable performance with the 9.9. It will bounce and flex a lot more than you are used to and the motor could easily work loose. It seems that most of the guys on here have a story about a buddy who lost a clamped-on motor when it bounced off the transom in rough water or after hitting a stump.

Nate

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay we'll if its choppy I don't plan on running super fast, I'm hoping its pretty calm or I won't go as far as I planned because I don't want to break anything or lose my motor

·
Brandon, FL
10,685 Posts
Use the clamp on the top and a bolt on the bottom.

You got the right idea...just because you can become a magic carpet doesn't mean you have too. Slow down and be safe and don't forget to wear your kill switch lanyard.

·
Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts
You never expect the motor to come off; I didn't! Just a leisurely cruise to the fishing hole with a few boat wakes along the way and ploop - WOOOOOM. The motor popped off the transom and wedged in the poling platform. Scary as all get out. Don't be like me!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
I really like 8's and 9.8s and 9.9's on Gheenoes fast enough and plenty of power .

Go to http://www.noeettica.com/ and see my buddy's videos

He has such a good time ... some times too good ;-)

BOLT IT ON AND WEAR YOUR PFD AND KILL LANYARD !!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
828 Posts
I had a 15hp 2sroke on my mine for years with no issues. I only used the clamps and ran it like hell. I had a newer 13ft and that hull was solid as a rock. My 15 could hit 30mph with just me. I needed a dolphin tale to keep the bow down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same here. I had a 1985 low sider. I could not find a decent 9.9 SO I found a nice 15. I was also a bit freaked out so I just bolted a pice of wood to cover the entire transom. This was a long time ago, but it would also go about 30mph. I had to trim it all the way down if I was by myself or add weight. It was not the safest boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really like 8's and 9.8s and 9.9's on Gheenoes fast enough and plenty of power .

Go to http://www.noeettica.com/ and see my buddy's videos

He has such a good time ... some times too good ;-)

BOLT IT ON AND WEAR YOUR PFD AND KILL LANYARD !!!
YES

1 - 13 of 13 Posts