9.9hp on gheenoe question

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by josh_rennie, Aug 26, 2013.

1. josh_rennie

josh_rennie I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 13 foot classic gheenoe and I was wondering if I could run a 9.9 hp 2 stroke motor on it without any problems with me and one of my buddy's and some gear, the gheenoe is only rated for a 5hp max or 500lbs total weight and I weigh 150# the motor weighs 50# and my budy weighs 150# that's only 350# and I won't have 150# in gear haha so do you think it will run fine and be good, it won't sink or anything? I currently have a 4hp on it but its soo slow!

Thanks in advance for your opinion and help
    - Josh

2. NoeSmyrnaBch

NoeSmyrnaBch Well-Known Member

Lots of people run with a 9.9. Thats what is going on my 13'er here shortly (currently being rebuilt).

My only concern would be to make sure the hull and transom are in tip-top shape first and bolt it on, don't rely on just the motor clamps. Lots of stories of people losing motors that way.

3. josh_rennie

So how would I be able to make sure the motor won't come off? I really don't want to use a motor but I know I will have to be careful in choppy water so I don't crack the hull or anything but I plan on not running to far but I think I'm going to test it out this Thursday afternoon and just slowly speed up a little and stuff not just full throttle rightist of the gate because I'm a little nervous I've never been faster than like 10 mph on my gheenoe so it'll be different but I'm not looking to sling the motor off, so what should I do?

4. josh_rennie

If I don't bolt it on ill lose it? Because I just plan on the being trmporary and switching back and forth from my 4hp to the 9.9hp

5. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

You'll be moving pretty quick for that hull. There is video in the commercial section of an Ambush running with a 9.9. He is moving pretty fast and I think your rig should be light enough to show comparable performance with the 9.9. It will bounce and flex a lot more than you are used to and the motor could easily work loose. It seems that most of the guys on here have a story about a buddy who lost a clamped-on motor when it bounced off the transom in rough water or after hitting a stump.

Nate

6. josh_rennie

Okay we'll if its choppy I don't plan on running super fast, I'm hoping its pretty calm or I won't go as far as I planned because I don't want to break anything or lose my motor

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Use the clamp on the top and a bolt on the bottom.

You got the right idea...just because you can become a magic carpet doesn't mean you have too. Slow down and be safe and don't forget to wear your kill switch lanyard.

8. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

You never expect the motor to come off; I didn't! Just a leisurely cruise to the fishing hole with a few boat wakes along the way and ploop - WOOOOOM. The motor popped off the transom and wedged in the poling platform. Scary as all get out. Don't be like me!

9. Tommysmicroskiff

Tommysmicroskiff I Love microskiff.com!

I really like 8's and 9.8s and 9.9's on Gheenoes fast enough and plenty of power .

Go to http://www.noeettica.com/ and see my buddy's videos

He has such a good time ... some times too good ;-)

BOLT IT ON AND WEAR YOUR PFD AND KILL LANYARD !!!

10. PG350

PG350 I Love microskiff.com!

I had a 15hp 2sroke on my mine for years with no issues. I only used the clamps and ran it like hell. I had a newer 13ft and that hull was solid as a rock. My 15 could hit 30mph with just me. I needed a dolphin tale to keep the bow down.

11. fishinjeff

fishinjeff Well-Known Member

Same here. I had a 1985 low sider. I could not find a decent 9.9 SO I found a nice 15. I was also a bit freaked out so I just bolted a pice of wood to cover the entire transom. This was a long time ago, but it would also go about 30mph. I had to trim it all the way down if I was by myself or add weight. It was not the safest boat.

12. fishinjeff

fishinjeff Well-Known Member

YES

13. PG350

PG350 I Love microskiff.com!

Here is an old picture of my Gheenoe with my 15hp.  It is hidden in all the junk.

[​IMG]