9.8hp 1970's 2-Stroke Mercury Outboard Troubles

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by CISbrown, Jan 19, 2011.

1. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

I am having outboard troubles. I am a complete novice when it comes to outboards so take it easy on me. My terminology may not be right, but please be patient, I'm still learning.

My outboard runs great (engine works fine) but isn't engaging properly. What I mean by engaging is that when I put it in either forward or reverse it acts as if its stuck in weeds or spinning the prop. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is very tedious. The prop isn't spinning correctly or gears aren't biting.

Has anyone had an issue like this, or know what message I am trying to convey here?

2. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

sounds like a clutch dog going out ..... does it jump out of gear or make a grinding sound when you try to put it in gear ?

3. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

No grinding sounds. I would say it sounds more or less like its jumping in and out of gear. If I am very carfull with my acceleration I am able to move it out alright, but if I give it too much gas, or to fast it will start with the issue again.

Its like running through weeds every 4 to 10 feet.

thanks

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Where are you located ?

5. levip

thats definitely a clutch dog mercs especially of that era have notoriously weak bottoms ends however it shouldnt be too hard to fix if you get yourself a service manual and a new clutch dog a new gearcase seal unfortunnately im only familar with johnny rudes but id be more than willing to give it a whirl
    give us your model and serial number and ill see if i can find the parts you need

6. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

It's a clutch dog........replace this. I had it before on my rude 81' 15hp.

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I have a guy that can fix it

8. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

Judging by the responses I am assuming that it would ultimately be the clutch dog. Makes sense!

I am very grateful for everyone's support and knowledge, an I will use it. So the next step is to find the part. I wll be searching, but if anyone can help that would be great. My specs are:

Mercury 110 9.8hp

Now I'm not sure if those are the numbers that I need or not because the faceplate where the numbers are is kind of worn. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions, and thank you all again for helping me, I truly appreciate it.

9. levip

clutch dog pn# is 52-63314
    heres an exploded view so you can kinda see whats going on in there
    http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard/mercury-outboard-parts.php?modelId=5299&model=110&serialId=5307&serial=3795658+THRU+4839253&componentId=4992&component=GEAR+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY

and youll have a pm in a minute

10. levip

also its a '71 or '72 in case a parts guy asks

11. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter, I will be posting my discoveries as I look further into the issue. I have it planned to take a part the lower unit to examine the clutch dog, and I will post pictures of what I find.

You all have made a very confusing issue very clear, and I respect your input. Now I will run with what you all have said and let you all know where I wind up.

Thanks ~ Michael