Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I am currently looking for a new 8wt reel for fishing the flats here in Texas, mostly for redfish and black drum. I've been seriously looking at the Tibor backcountry CL wide and was wondering if any of y'all have any experience with them or have any recommendations at a similar price range, trying to keep it under 500. Any input is appreciated.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,622 Posts
It sounds like you want a Tibor on a budget?

My advice would be to look at the Galvan Torque or the Lamson Speedster if you can't find a used Everglade.

Reactions: commtrd

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in Texas too and sight cast to reds a majority of the time. For flats fishing, the tibor backcountry will cover you 98% of the time. Even big reds don't test a reels drag too much. However, for under $500, I really feel like there are better buys than the Backcountry CL Wide. If you don't ever see yourself using this reel for anything other than redfish on the flats here in Texas, then by all means buy that Backcountry. If it were me shopping for an 8 weight reel in that price range, I would first look at the Galvan Tourque, Nautilus CCf-X2 or 3Tand. Also, Tibor Everglades in the new frost finish can be had for under $600.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Backcountry's are a sweet reel, I had one on my 6wt tidal for a while. Kinda kicking my self for getting a 5 plus hatch instead of keeping that reel on it. For redfish you don't need much more and have buddies that have caught decent sized bones on them. Another option that's about half the price is a lamson guru 3.5, you get a somewhat sealed drag and it's full machined and lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
That same reel for reds will be used for bones and permit. Most reds don't demand a high quality drag, but when you hook into that behemoth, you'll be glad you do have it. Plus, there are big ass jacks on the TX coast. There's a good chance you'll run into them.

The Backcounty is a sweet reel, but it is not the same drag system as the standard Tibor reels (clinch brake system vs full cork disc drag). Abel makes a sweet reel with the Super 7/8N - you can find them on ebay sub 500. That is a great red reel that can easily be fished up to the next classes of fish - bones, permit and small tarpon. It is a full cork disc drag system, just like the standard Tibors. It is lighter than the Everglades, which is another great reel. I picked up an Abel on ebay for $430, saw another go for $330, and one just sold for $470.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
171 Posts
Hey y'all, I am currently looking for a new 8wt reel for fishing the flats here in Texas, mostly for redfish and black drum. I've been seriously looking at the Tibor backcountry CL wide and was wondering if any of y'all have any experience with them or have any recommendations at a similar price range, trying to keep it under 500. Any input is appreciated.
Look into the Sage 2280 and 3280. Large, numbered drag knob and very smooth operation overall. Well-made like everything Sage does.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
Under 500
Used - Everglades or Abel
New - 3Tand T-70 with an extra T-90 spool, these reels use the same frame so you're basically getting 2 reels (1 7-9wt and 1 9-10wt) for $500. These reels have a great beast of a drag and beautiful machining/finish. Customer service was awesome when I called (problem was me more than the reel lol).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts