Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
‘94 Silver King Signature 16
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Banging around for a new reel for my backup 8wt. This rod will also be my loaner/newbie rod for guest. Looking to spend $100 or less. Best I can find value wise is an Orvis Clearwater. Is this the best I can do, or is there something else out there?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lamson Liquid 3.5 is an 8-9 wt reel. Single reel is $109 and has the same type drag as all the Lamson reels. Good drag but there appears to be a problem with the spool clutch retention screw. I have the Liquid 3.5 set that comes with 3 spools that cost around $165-$180 and have not had any problems with it. I actually put it on a 5wt rod because I wanted a larger spool size that is light. Here is a picture I took of it in a river in southern Patagonia Chile. Use Locktite on the spool clutch retention screw and you should not have any problems.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/waterworks-lamson-liquid-fly-reelEndFragment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lamson Liquid 3.5 is an 8-9 wt reel. Single reel is $109 and has the same type drag as all the Lamson reels. Good drag but there appears to be a problem with the spool clutch retention screw. I have the Liquid 3.5 set that comes with 3 spools that cost around $165-$180 and have not had any problems with it. I actually put it on a 5wt rod because I wanted a larger spool size that is light. Here is a picture I took of it in a river in southern Patagonia Chile. Use Locktite on the spool clutch retention screw and you should not have any problems.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/waterworks-lamson-liquid-fly-reelEndFragment
Snake surf, this looks promising.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
FWIW most cast reels don't do well in salt water. I'd go with the Piscifun; they've got a great reputation and they are machined & anodized, not cast and powdercoated. I can tell you from experience that the Clearwater won't hold up in salt water, and the several Okumas that I bought on a guide's recommendation all blistered on me pretty quick. And I'm diligent about rinsing my gear. Although the Behemoth is cast, it seems to do well in the salt, at least from what I hear (never owned one). If I remember correctly, part of that Lamson Liquid is machined and part (I think the spool?) is cast.

All this assuming you'll be using it in salt water; disregard if that's not the case.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW most cast reels don't do well in salt water. I'd go with the Piscifun; they've got a great reputation and they are machined & anodized, not cast and powdercoated. I can tell you from experience that the Clearwater won't hold up in salt water, and the several Okumas that I bought on a guide's recommendation all blistered on me pretty quick. And I'm diligent about rinsing my gear. Although the Behemoth is cast, it seems to do well in the salt, at least from what I hear (never owned one). If I remember correctly, part of that Lamson Liquid is machined and part (I think the spool?) is cast.

All this assuming you'll be using it in salt water; disregard if that's not the case.
That's good info right there!! Something I didn't think about. All my reels salt&fresh are currently machined/anodized. That Piscifun is looking better and better. I have their Sword line in 5wt, and honestly not too impressed by it. Not very slick. Really impressed by the KastKing Exergy line though.... closest thing to Rio Gold for only $20 or so.

·
Registered
168 Posts
the below fish was caught on a KastKing 2 Mondays ago. Ive probably fought 20+ fish this size with it so far with no issues. The only issue i have found is that on 30+ lb fish that pull lots of drag at first, the drag can fade a little, but it realy has to make the reel scream to do that. and it comes back after it cools.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the below fish was caught on a KastKing 2 Mondays ago. Ive probably fought 20+ fish this size with it so far with no issues. The only issue i have found is that on 30+ lb fish that pull lots of drag at first, the drag can fade a little, but it realy has to make the reel scream to do that. and it comes back after it cools.
Well done, sir!! Proof we don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get some value in this sport. Heck, the drag is probably better than those on my Orvis large arbors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.