Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new 8wt fly line for redfish on the flats. Maybe an off chance I’ll use once a year in the Keys/Everglades for bonefish, permit, snook, redfish, etc. I was looking at the Monic Henley Clear Phantom Tip, but open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
Kastking Exergy off Amazon. Decent line for someone that won't use it much. True to weight line. If you have a fast rod, go up one line weight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify. I will use it relatively frequently, mostly in Tampa Bay on the flats. May also use during an annual trip to the Keys. My previous line was Rio Bonefish, which was nice, but didn’t seem to hold up too well. I’d rather not spend $100 again.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
Give the Kastking a shot. For $20 it easily rivals any of my pricier SA, Rio, or Cortland lines. I'm not a fan of the micro loops on the line, so I cut them off and re-weld or knot and super glue. I just can't stomach $100+ for line anymore. One step with cleats or an oyster bed.... and that's money down the toilet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m leaning toward the Monic...anyone know of any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals ongoing or upcoming on the Monic or any other line? Looks like the Orvis Hydros SW All Rounder might be discontinued. They still have it up on the site, but I’m leaning toward a clear tip line. Been hearing good things.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper hands down. I've fished them all. Rio Redfish is great for guides with novices on the bow - the 8wt version is actually closer to a 10 wt in grains. I used to be an Airflo guy before I found Wulff, but found that Wulff holds up better over time. The two tone line color changes right around 30', with a leader means 40'. That gives the angler and a guide the same reference point to get on the same page in distance. I run them from my 6s all the way to my 12s.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper hands down. I've fished them all. Rio Redfish is great for guides with novices on the bow - the 8wt version is actually closer to a 10 wt in grains. I used to be an Airflo guy before I found Wulff, but found that Wulff holds up better over time. The two tone line color changes right around 30', with a leader means 40'. That gives the angler and a guide the same reference point to get on the same page in distance. I run them from my 6s all the way to my 12s.
I've been tempted to try out a BTT. Unfortunately their 6wt line is more of a 7.5 weight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using the SA Amplitude Infinity Salt (or Salt Infinity?) the past 10 days fishing from Estero Bay to Nine Mile Bank, and have absolutely loved it. Used a #7 Xi3 heavily mainly because the winds have been so mild (until today) and will definitely be getting it in an 8. Favorite salt line I've ever used. Not a semi-bomber like the Grand Slam taper. Casts very smoothly, with great loop control and accuracy, and had no trouble laying down softly on tailers. Up north I was working the water, mainly fishing mangrove edges, and in Florida Bay I shifted to sight fishing. The line excelled at both, allowed me to put tight loops deep into mangrove pockets, drop flies inches from edges, and put flies right where I wanted them on tailing reds. The blind fishing was primarily with weighted flies, the sightfishing unweighted. Very happy with the way it handled both.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wulff BTT is 243 Gr at 30' and Rio Redfish is 240 at 30'. Both are 8wt lines but weigh out to a 9wt at AFFTA specs not a 10wt. Saying one line is better for novices over another just because it is heavier is silly, especially since the one line is actually heavier than the "novice" line. These specifications are provided by both manufactures. There is a little more that goes into selecting the right line than just grain weights. I have a mix of Rio, Cortland and SA, all for different purposes and different rods.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
Wulff BTT is 243 Gr at 30' and Rio Redfish is 240 at 30'. Both are 8wt lines but weigh out to a 9wt at AFFTA specs not a 10wt. Saying one line is better for novices over another just because it is heavier is silly, especially since the one line is actually heavier than the "novice" line. These specifications are provided by both manufactures. There is a little more that goes into selecting the right line than just grain weights. I have a mix of Rio, Cortland and SA, all for different purposes and different rods.
Yup. The fly line industry has become so convoluted these days, it's hard to wrap ones head around what the end game is. I don't know what the answer is? Maybe start labeling lines for intended distances.... short..... medium/all around.... long. Heck if I know!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. The fly line industry has become so convoluted these days, it's hard to wrap ones head around what the end game is. I don't know what the answer is? Maybe start labeling lines for intended distances.... short..... medium/all around.... long. Heck if I know!!
Yeah this is getting complicated...I just want a good all purpose line, mainly for sight casting, that doesn't cost $90-$100 plus!

In all seriousness, I do appreciate the info. I'm still leaning toward the Monic clear tip. I'm sure all of the other options mentioned are great, but I'm really not looking to spend $90-$130+. If I fly fished more often, I'd go for it, but I really only fly fish a handful of times per year.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Yeah this is getting complicated...I just want a good all purpose line, mainly for sight casting, that doesn't cost $90-$100 plus!

In all seriousness, I do appreciate the info. I'm still leaning toward the Monic clear tip. I'm sure all of the other options mentioned are great, but I'm really not looking to spend $90-$130+. If I fly fished more often, I'd go for it, but I really only fly fish a handful of times per year.
I think you will like it especially for the price and even more so if you get 25% off by sending in some junk line for the recycling program.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts