Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a NFC Gamma Beta 7wt 4pc I recently finished. Used Silk thread from VooDoo Rods with CPXtra as a color preserver to match the reel. Alps Titanium Guides, Alps Triangle Recessed Reel Seat with a Custom Burled Cork turned on the blank.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stormy,
From what I can tell, the line passes through the double foot snake guides more efficiently keeping the line straighter. A doublefoot snake guide is like an elongated guide or maybe even like two guides spaced close together. The straighter you can keep the line, the farther it will cast with less effort. I have found that in order to get that same efficiency you need more single foot guides and single foot guides weigh more than double foot snakes. It is not much weight added to the tip section but it is enough to notice and it will affect the recovery of the rod by slowing it down a little. I am using two identical fly rod blanks now, one with traditional snake guides and the other with Fuji L frame SIC guides. Both have near identical stripper guide set up, but the running guides are different, with one being double foot snakes. The can both cast to 80' + but one cast better with a shorter head tapper and the other with a longer head. The traditional has 10 total guides; 2 stripppers and 8 double foot running guides. The un-traditional has 12 guides total; 2 strippers and 10 single foot ceramic running guides and cast the longer head lines better.
Thanks! On my 8s I used 10 guides total, also single foot (one SIC and one PacBay Minimas. I did a side by side with a similar rod that had snakes, same spacing and found my distance was the same, 80' with 3 false casts. But you're right - I mostly opt for a traditional, longer head line. If it's one of the "modern" overweighted lines I go a line size under the rod too. I've been thinking I need to add a 7 weight to the mix, maybe I'll give the snakes another try (haven't used snakes since the early 90s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
really pretty, I have the same exact rod on order. How do you like the performance?
It's up there on high-end spectrum. It shoots like a cannon, but still loads in the actual fishing range. Very light swing weight. Throws a tight loop, and you can still feel the line load. I think it will be my new favorite, but time will tell. The ferrule fit is great and the hand sanded finish helps with that. The blank was not the straightest, but not too bad. I first assembled on the straight line, then re-set the eyes based upon the spine. The rod had more "Feel" IMO on the spine, but I know that is subject to debate. I am using Monic Henley Clear 7wt for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow! You are making me regret not doing custom cork on my grips...
Yes, once I started tapering each cork ring to fit and gluing/sanding on blank to fit my hand, there was no going back. Shaping the cork is my favorite part of the build. On the burl cork, I like to finish it with a lower grit that regular cork to keep a soft touch feel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thought I'd share, the 12 wt. I just finished weighs 6.1 oz. Out of pure excitement to throw it I put a 10 wt RIO Striper line on it. Boom, effortless 75' across the yard.. Why a 10 weight one might ask? Because it weighs 425 fucking grains. RIO's be heavy:oops:

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts
Thought I'd share, the 12 wt. I just finished weighs 6.1 oz. Out of pure excitement to throw it I put a 10 wt RIO Striper line on it. Boom, effortless 75' across the yard.. Why a 10 weight one might ask? Because it weighs 425 fucking grains. RIO's be heavy:oops:
Nice! One of these days I’ll get time to get my guides finished!

·
Registered
37 Posts
can anyone help with the measurement of the tiptop on the gamma beta 7wt? I can’t find it on their chart on the website, I suspect it’s labeled differently or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a #7 blank delivered on Monday. A 4.0 tube size is too small. I just ordered a 4.5, which I think should work perfectly.
I had the same issue. I ordered a 4 and a 4.5 since they were cheap enough to order two. I believe it was the 4.5 that worked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just dry fit the REC rgal seat I bought for the 7wt.. it’s way too long. With a butt it looks like a spinning rod. I also don’t think grinding it down is the standard here?

Any help you guys can offer is super appreciated, I have my head wrapped around the whole build and I have all of my supplies.. besides maybe a new seat..

Here’s the REC rgal next to a loomis nrx+ 8.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I just dry fit the REC rgal seat I bought for the 7wt.. it’s way too long. With a butt it looks like a spinning rod. I also don’t think grinding it down is the standard here?

Any help you guys can offer is super appreciated, I have my head wrapped around the whole build and I have all of my supplies.. besides maybe a new seat..

Here’s the REC rgal next to a loomis nrx+ 8.

View attachment 176423
Just glue your grip 1/2" higher. As long as you leave enough reel seat hanging off the blank for the butt! Made that mistake once:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1992, Roth Bilt, RB-15
21 Posts
Just following up, finally got my 7wt built and had a chance to fish it. Love it! Really casts well, but fishes well too. Caught a bunch of schoolie sized stripers on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Just thought I'd share, I just finished a 6 wt. I used NFC's Gamma Beta F-690 x4 blank. I'm amazed at how accurate it is!! Can't imagine how accurate it is for someone who knows what they're doing.
Amazing!! They make a really nice blank..

81 - 100 of 105 Posts