Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It certainly threw a tight loop, easily tossed 70’. I’ll get to hook some fast moving water Stripers with it when I get back from Florida. We’ll see how it handles a mid to upper teen Bass in a strong current.
Just weighed it 5.55 ounces.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It will cast better with double foot snake guides. If you use single foot guides, you will need to add more guides to get equal performance, but you will also add more weight to the end of the rod. I have been experimenting with single foot guides on fly rods for a long time. I have found on a 9’ fly rod that if you use 10 guides (2 double foot strippers and 8 double foot snake runners) you will need 10 single foot ceramic ringed runner guides along with 2 double foot strippers to get comparable performance. I do not like single foot snake guides because the line does not flow through them properly and the rod will feel like it is holding back. I will never use single foot snake guides on a fly rod again and haven’t in over 25 years. The guide configuration that I use on a 9’ 8wt is Fuji KW 16 and KW 10 with a REC RSNX 5 and 7-RSNX 4s to the tip. With a large loop tip top. You could also use Seaguide TiLBG guides with silicon nitride RS rings in the same size for strippers. For single foot runners I would use (with the same 2 strippers) with 7 L frame 7mm ceramic ring with the last 3 guides near the tip being L frame 6mm ceramic rings, just to cut down on the weight a little at the tip section. For the tip top a 7mm ceramic ring.
Question for you; if the ring of the single foot guide is in the same spot as the high point of the snake guide why would you need more single foot guides? As an experiment I built a 10 weight with single foot guides placed exactly where the snakes were on my friend's Scott Tidal. Mine was not a Scott blank, so it was not apples to apples, but to be honest I didn't come away feeling like it lacked performance at all. Now it's possible I'm not a good enough caster to notice as most of my casts are in the 80-85' range. But this is the first time I've heard about the number of guides required so I'm interested to hear more. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration here gents, I got all hopped up and ordered the gamma beta 7wt and 1 piece psi 8wt blanks this am. I figured I'll build the one piece and if I like it, I'll build the 7 too. I've been looking for a 1 piece 8 for a while and, why not make it! If I hate it, I'll sell the 7wt blank on ebay or something. At the prices for NFC blanks right now, it was hard not to double down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The 10 weight easily handled a couple double digit Stripers last night in a 3 knot current from an anchored boat. Drag helped on one of them but the rods tight!!
I had NFC ship me a 1 piece 12wt with the 8wt. These sticks will stay in Florida after I transport them down with the boat in June. I'm pumped to get on with the new fishing grounds. I'll be on LGI from late June to late August. If any of ya want to fish the area PM me. Always room

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you guys figured out whether or not you need to add ferrule wraps on these blanks? I’ve heard some manufacturers reinforce them and the ferrule wrap is not needed. What say you? I’d love to keep my build as simple as possible, seems like forgoing these wraps would make for a pretty simple/stealthy look.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts
Have you guys figured out whether or not you need to add ferrule wraps on these blanks? I’ve heard some manufacturers reinforce them and the ferrule wrap is not needed. What say you? I’d love to keep my build as simple as possible, seems like forgoing these wraps would make for a pretty simple/stealthy look.
I’m wrapping mine and keeping the SIZE A thread super clean so I can get away with one super thin coat of finish. There’s no reason not to wrap them but you can try it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Ditto Smackdaddy or call the manufacturer for a recommendation. I’d wrap it regardless of what the manufacturer says. Makes for more confidence when locking up😉

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m wrapping mine and keeping the SIZE A thread super clean so I can get away with one super thin coat of finish. There’s no reason not to wrap them but you can try it!
Thanks for the input, you're probably right. I might be able to just space the guides so that the ferrule wraps are a part of a guide anyway I guess. Are you wrapping the guides with the size A as well, or is it to thin for that? Sorry for the dumb questions, it'll be my first build.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, you're probably right. I might be able to just space the guides so that the ferrule wraps are a part of a guide anyway I guess. Are you wrapping the guides with the size A as well, or is it to thin for that? Sorry for the dumb questions, it'll be my first build.
No question is a dumb question and yes "A" thread. Get a rec. guide placement if you've never built that style rod before.
Didn't mean to answer a question directed at SD:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks gents. Also if anyone has any pics of these rods built out, I'd love to see a few! Does the NFC sticker and branding come on the blank? I'm hoping it's something that I can choose not to include on my build, hoping to have no branding on my rod.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Thanks gents. Also if anyone has any pics of these rods built out, I'd love to see a few! Does the NFC sticker and branding come on the blank? I'm hoping it's something that I can choose not to include on my build, hoping to have no branding on my rod.
It’s a sticker you place on it. Your choice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Question for you; if the ring of the single foot guide is in the same spot as the high point of the snake guide why would you need more single foot guides? As an experiment I built a 10 weight with single foot guides placed exactly where the snakes were on my friend's Scott Tidal. Mine was not a Scott blank, so it was not apples to apples, but to be honest I didn't come away feeling like it lacked performance at all. Now it's possible I'm not a good enough caster to notice as most of my casts are in the 80-85' range. But this is the first time I've heard about the number of guides required so I'm interested to hear more. Thanks!
Stormy,
From what I can tell, the line passes through the double foot snake guides more efficiently keeping the line straighter. A doublefoot snake guide is like an elongated guide or maybe even like two guides spaced close together. The straighter you can keep the line, the farther it will cast with less effort. I have found that in order to get that same efficiency you need more single foot guides and single foot guides weigh more than double foot snakes. It is not much weight added to the tip section but it is enough to notice and it will affect the recovery of the rod by slowing it down a little. I am using two identical fly rod blanks now, one with traditional snake guides and the other with Fuji L frame SIC guides. Both have near identical stripper guide set up, but the running guides are different, with one being double foot snakes. The can both cast to 80' + but one cast better with a shorter head tapper and the other with a longer head. The traditional has 10 total guides; 2 stripppers and 8 double foot running guides. The un-traditional has 12 guides total; 2 strippers and 10 single foot ceramic running guides and cast the longer head lines better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Was up at 4:00 (like always:rolleyes:), put the reel on the rod walked to the river second cast, a Weak swallowed my fly. 3 maybe 3.25#s. Rod worked beautifully.
Another perfect mark for NFC. Next weekend I'll build the 12 weight.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts