Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Great write up. The problem is LA is great but its a crapshoot weather wise. I was at my Gulf home in Sept for 12 days. I got to fly fish on 2 of those.....I didn't get so lucky with the storms as Sally was right in the middle of my trip. Glad you hit it right. But guys that come down there need to know the whole picture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been to the Biloxi marshes of LA probably 5 times also. Fished with Capt Greg Dini everytime. Hooked and landed monster red and black drum. Enjoyed your write up. Agree with the wildlife being off the chains! Spectacular! Haven't been there in 4 yrs due to injuries. Hope to get back at it soon as back is strong enough again. In line for a Heron 16 build and very stoked

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice post! Gotta put LA on my list. Headed out to the NC coast early next week- hope the weather is as good as your LA trip. :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outstanding work John.
Thanks Hank!
Great write up. The problem is LA is great but its a crapshoot weather wise. I was at my Gulf home in Sept for 12 days. I got to fly fish on 2 of those.....I didn't get so lucky with the storms as Sally was right in the middle of my trip. Glad you hit it right. But guys that come down there need to know the whole picture.
Yep, no different than here in NC, or in the Keys, or anywhere else I've been. Mother Nature does as she pleases. Day 1, we had water up 2ft, looking like chocolate milk, and 25mph winds...so we pushed up ditches that came off of other ditches until we couldn't push any further, and found plenty of slot fish making wakes. Worked with what we had and had a great time. The next day, it was so slick you couldn't tell where the water ended and the sky started. That's LA for you, and I love it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been to the Biloxi marshes of LA probably 5 times also. Fished with Capt Greg Dini everytime. Hooked and landed monster red and black drum. Enjoyed your write up. Agree with the wildlife being off the chains! Spectacular! Haven't been there in 4 yrs due to injuries. Hope to get back at it soon as back is strong enough again. In line for a Heron 16 build and very stoked
Dini is the man! Hope you get back soon.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
30 Posts
Great point about the slot reds. While most people go to LA for the bulls, I’ve had days where you get unlimited shots on slot reds that aren’t spooky... deep in the marsh. Even if they aren’t trophies, it’s a blast catching 10-15 fish right by the boat. Awesome article.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
693 Posts
Probably the last time you fish with Dini if you keep hot spotting :LOL:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where on the NC Coast are you heading, and are you bringing a boat?
Going to Dawson's Creek next week. Fished there once last year and it was pretty good for speckled trout. I usually fish near/around Swansboro. Buddy is bringing a boat and I'll have my kayak. The best of both worlds!

·
Registered
158 Posts

That's what I was thinking Steve. Looking at the pictures, it was cloudless skies and very light wind.

@johnmauser , That's awesome y'all had some good weather and a good time. That's what it's all about.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,446 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing that! Wonderfully written and illustrated with terrific photography. It is a magical place! I was due to return for my second trip in September, but we had to reschedule because of the hurricane. We're now planning to be there third week in October. There's a great book that I recommend for those who have not read it: "Bayou Farewell" by Mike Tidwell. It's an entertaining chronicle of the author's travels through a world that is, unfortunately, vanishing before our eyes. Check it out--highly recommended.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great point about the slot reds. While most people go to LA for the bulls, I’ve had days where you get unlimited shots on slot reds that aren’t spooky... deep in the marsh. Even if they aren’t trophies, it’s a blast catching 10-15 fish right by the boat. Awesome article.
I agree...It's absolutely a blast.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts