Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

7wt & 9wt vs. 6wt and 8wt

24K views 81 replies 60 participants last post by  cwarfield 
#1 ·
Currently in the process of adjusting my quiver. At the moment, I only have a 9wt and looking to get a 7wt rod as another rod in the arsenal. At the moment, having trouble deciding if this is the path I actually want to take. So, I want to hear it from y'all. Should I keep the trend that I'm going for now, or fully adjust to a 6wt and 8wt setup? I know the 8wt is the bread and butter rod weight in Florida, where I'm fishing, and a lot of people love the 6wt as a good, light backup rod weight. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

#4 ·
I guess the issue I'm having currently, being limited to just one rod, and it being a 9wt, is that it just feels too heavy for a good deal of applications I use it for. Fish in pretty clear conditions a lot and the 9wt just feels like it can spooks fish too much with how big the line is in the clear water. Also, not providing enough finesse in some more close quarters situations, like back in the mangroves. Doesn't quite feel like the generalist rod weight that I was initially getting it for when I first started fly fishing a couple years back, and as I get better with casting, it just feels like too much rod. Hence why I'm considering stepping down to an 8 weight for bigger fish and a 6 weight for smaller fish or when I need a little more finesse and fine placing of flies for the spooky, clear water fish.

#8 ·
I just switched to Airflo Gulf Redfish on my Lamson SS 8 wt and can tell the difference in size of the line and presentation from the SA Grand Slam I switched from. I'll be adjusting lines based on where and how I am fishing in a given day. That may be a simple solution to your problem.

Or you can have fun and build a 7 wt outfit for other situations.

#14 ·
I roll with a 6, 8, and 11. I have found that anything I can do with a 7....I can do with a 6 wt. I like to go with a lighter set up especially in the winter when I'm dropping down to 8# tippets for reds in TB. The I find my 8 wt. ends up being reserved for dock light fishing for snook and poons.....juvenile poons in the river.....or throwing topwater flies around the mangroves during the warmer months. If I could throw my 6 for everything I would. During the warmer months the 6 does beach snook duty, open flats sight fishing, and anything else in between. The 11 is for the big poons. When you find a line/rod combo that makes life easier....that's what you roll with, regardless of what weight they are. Mine is the Lamson SS rods and Monic Henley Phantom Tip lines.

#15 ·
As some folks have mentioned above you will likely not notice much difference between a 6-7wt or a 8-9wt. When I first started fly fishing I was always told to stick to either even or odd numbers. 2,4,6,8 or 3,5,7,9 etc. however... now that I started building my own rods... that theory has gone out the window lol. Best thing IMO would be test cast to see if you can find exactly the action you’re looking for.

#16 ·
The answer is just really specific to the fishing one does. Now that said, my thoughts are as follows.

1. I actually prefer a 7 and 9 over a 6 and 8. I can adjust to a lighter application by using a longer leader and smaller flies. And I can throw a larger fly with a 9 a bit easier than an 8.
2. You already have a 9 so its cheaper to add a 7 than to sell the 9 and buy a 6 and an 8.
3. The answer down the road is probably a 6, 7, 9, and 11 so get the 7 and you are half way home!

#17 ·
A lot of modern rods are 3/4 to a full size heavier than they are marked. Whatever true to standard weight line casts well on the rod is the true line weight of the given rod. If you’re throwing a line that actually measures a 10, you’re fishing a 10. That Redfish line also probably has a lot of its weight up front for throwing weighted flies. That just makes it less delicate and heavier feeling because it is.

I’d try a 9 wt bonefish type line on your current rod and see if that helped with a more gentle delivery. If that helps, great. Then I’d look at a 7 wt rod as a complement to the 9. If you like the 9, look at the same rod model in a 7. It might be nice to have similar feel in both outfits.

#18 · (Edited)
Given that I have nowhere near the experience as most of the guys here, I find that there is more difference in feel between a 5 and 6 weight as opposed to a 8 and 9 weight. The argument to stay odd weight or even weight is valid, to me, over 7wt. Over 7wt staying all odd or all even makes more sense. Below a 7wt there is more difference in weights, get as many as you can afford.
If you have a 9wt, drop to a 7wt, then add an 11 later for stud fish. A 7wt is not too big to throw streamers and such for freshwater trout, is heavy enough for most bass fishing, and will handle most inshore salt. Still, an 8wt is a standard go-to.
In the end, try before you buy! Get thee to ye olde fly shop, and cast thy line.

#20 ·
Seems like adding a 7wt to your 9 wt is a legitimate path. As a point of reference, I have Helios 3D rods in 7, 8 and 9 weights. I have found the Rio Bonefish Quick Shooter to be the best line for me in saltwater on the 8wt and 9wt. I use Rio Gold on my 7wt with a very light weight Lamson reel due to the type of fishing (more freshwater and smaller flies).

IMO - My 7 wt is a "more fun" version of the 8 wt. The 9 wt seems to be a different tool for different applications . . . . more wind, bigger flies, etc. My 9 feels heavier, but it's probably due more to the bigger reel and heavier line.

I totally agree that throwing the various options before you buy is the way to go.

Best of luck!!!

#22 ·
currently rocking the lamson ss series, 7wt and 11wt, getting the 9wt next. i found where i am the 7wt is ideal for fish looking on the smaller size and can handle pretty much anything on the bigger sized for reds and snook. 11wt obviously for them beach cruisers. 9wt im thinking will be ideal of yoking fish out of docks and pilings for more stopping power typically for some big snook and tarpon 20-40lb range.
i did the 6,8,10 and decided to go 7,9,11 more of my style where i am fishing.

good luck on your choices

#23 ·
Wow, this got a lot of responses! Thanks everyone for the input! Got a lot to consider now... I really don’t mind spending the money to completely change the quiver, and seeing that I’m already searching for the possible 7wt, I don’t find it to be an issue. Plus, I could probably 1:1 swap for when selling the 9wt, so possibly no money spent there. But I’ll do some hard thinking this weekend about the direction I want to take it. Thanks everyone! Also, @gandolf , if I choose to sell the 9wt Lamson SS I have, I could sell it to you!

#40 ·
Unless of course you're like the rest of us and you want one (or more) of everything.
I've never sold one of my rods although I have given a couple away (not counting what I gave my ole man).
AS of today I've one antique, and three vintage rods. I still use two of the vintage rods now and then.
Took me almost thirty years to get all the rods I have today and while they do not get used the same they all have their special places where I get the most enjoyment partly because of the particular rod in hand.

Moral of the story is that I'd keep the 9, as it has a legitimate place for it's use (especially in Florida and the south) and supplant it with what I think would be my next best rod, which down the road I might find that I "need" another one :)

#30 ·
I was an “even weight” (4, 6, 8, 10 wt.) guy for many years until I got a deal on a 9 wt. shop demo rod. I must say that I do love my 9 wt. tho...

Why not a 12? Cause I don’t think I’m man enough anymore to fight 12 wt. Species. Also, got tired of explaining those low abdomen bruises to my wife. Tho at this point she probably wouldn’t care anymore...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.