Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess the issue I'm having currently, being limited to just one rod, and it being a 9wt, is that it just feels too heavy for a good deal of applications I use it for. Fish in pretty clear conditions a lot and the 9wt just feels like it can spooks fish too much with how big the line is in the clear water. Also, not providing enough finesse in some more close quarters situations, like back in the mangroves. Doesn't quite feel like the generalist rod weight that I was initially getting it for when I first started fly fishing a couple years back, and as I get better with casting, it just feels like too much rod. Hence why I'm considering stepping down to an 8 weight for bigger fish and a 6 weight for smaller fish or when I need a little more finesse and fine placing of flies for the spooky, clear water fish.
Just my preference but I own 4 eight weights and 2 6 weights. Not to mention my 4 and 5 wt trout rods.I gave my 7 weight away to a newbie friend. The 8 and 6 will get it done for everything in Everglades national park including tarpon up to 40 lbs,I don’t fish for the adults. I’ve fished Everglades for 50 years and an 8 and a 6 does it all for me. My personal preference, others may prefer a 9 and a 7. Try a few friends outfits and see what you like best.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,441 Posts
I like to move up or down by 2 rod weights. I happened to have started with an 8wt so I went to a 6 and up to a 10, then 12wt. I also have a 4wt for sweetwater stuff. I'm fishing for reds and sheepies most of the time so my primary set up is a 6wt. I have mulitples of most of my set ups, same weights but different rods as the different rods have different characteristics. Yes I'm a bit of a gear whore but I also have fly fish enough and try enough different gear that I know what I like.
Anyway, if you have the 9, get a 7 and then an 11.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I always try to think what specific role I’m going to be using a specific rod for. I have a 4wt glass that I use specifically for dries with native small trout. I use both an orvis Helios 3, 7 wt and 8wt. The 7wt is their F model the 8 is the D. I interchange lines for these two for reds and specks. Punching thru wind or sometimes pushing around sinking line maybe use 8 but floating easy shots feeding fish maybe use the 7. Hope this makes sense.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts