Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
currently rocking the lamson ss series, 7wt and 11wt, getting the 9wt next. i found where i am the 7wt is ideal for fish looking on the smaller size and can handle pretty much anything on the bigger sized for reds and snook. 11wt obviously for them beach cruisers. 9wt im thinking will be ideal of yoking fish out of docks and pilings for more stopping power typically for some big snook and tarpon 20-40lb range.
i did the 6,8,10 and decided to go 7,9,11 more of my style where i am fishing.

good luck on your choices

·
Registered
2019 Gheenoe LT10
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, this got a lot of responses! Thanks everyone for the input! Got a lot to consider now... I really don’t mind spending the money to completely change the quiver, and seeing that I’m already searching for the possible 7wt, I don’t find it to be an issue. Plus, I could probably 1:1 swap for when selling the 9wt, so possibly no money spent there. But I’ll do some hard thinking this weekend about the direction I want to take it. Thanks everyone! Also, @gandolf , if I choose to sell the 9wt Lamson SS I have, I could sell it to you!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I really like my 7. And 8. And 9. And 6. And... 😀

Try a lighter line on your 9 before you decide though. Unless of course you're like the rest of us and you want one (or more) of everything. Also, test cast a bunch of rods with varying actions if you can.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
116 Posts
Lines are cheaper than rods. Play around with a couple of different lines and see if you like what the 9 wt does with them. The right line for the rod makes a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
239 Posts
What really matters is the weight of fly you are throwing. You can easily handle large fish on lighter weight rods with the proper techniques, but very difficult to throw a heavy crab pattern with anything less than a 9 (for example).

·
Towee Calusa
294 Posts
I was an “even weight” (4, 6, 8, 10 wt.) guy for many years until I got a deal on a 9 wt. shop demo rod. I must say that I do love my 9 wt. tho...

Why not a 12? Cause I don’t think I’m man enough anymore to fight 12 wt. Species. Also, got tired of explaining those low abdomen bruises to my wife. Tho at this point she probably wouldn’t care anymore...

·
Registered
2019 Gheenoe LT10
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Try the Redfish/Bonefish Airflo. The Gulf Redfish 9WT is actually an 11WT. And I got that info from someone at Airflo.
Do you know off the top of your head if the Airflo Bonefish is true to size? Or is it like half a size up?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,404 Posts
Most six wt rods in a model line have a more gradual flex than the heavier rods. Above six wt the rods in a model line will usually have the same flex. So everyone should have a six wt in the quiver for lighter presentations and open loops. Seven through twelve wt just select for the size of the fly and fish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Building a quiver is such a matter of personal choice and also how deep your pockets are. However with that being said. The main factors I would look at are where you fish, how big of flies are you throwing and what species you intend on targeting. I can say without hesitation if you spend time chasing skinny water “slot” redfish a 6wt will do everything you want. Unless it’s super windy then at that point I’d skip the 7wt altogether and go straight to 8 or 9.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also consider the release of the fish. Each species fights differently. We play and handle each fish so that it can be safely released. I have been fishing with guys who use a really small rod to extend the play of the fish. The fish then takes a very long time to revive. It was not good. At the other end you don’t use a 10wt on trout.
Let us use balance to enjoy fishing and return healthy fish

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, this got a lot of responses! Thanks everyone for the input! Got a lot to consider now... I really don’t mind spending the money to completely change the quiver, and seeing that I’m already searching for the possible 7wt, I don’t find it to be an issue. Plus, I could probably 1:1 swap for when selling the 9wt, so possibly no money spent there. But I’ll do some hard thinking this weekend about the direction I want to take it. Thanks everyone! Also, @gandolf , if I choose to sell the 9wt Lamson SS I have, I could sell it to you!
Let me know how much my dude!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently in the process of adjusting my quiver. At the moment, I only have a 9wt and looking to get a 7wt rod as another rod in the arsenal. At the moment, having trouble deciding if this is the path I actually want to take. So, I want to hear it from y'all. Should I keep the trend that I'm going for now, or fully adjust to a 6wt and 8wt setup? I know the 8wt is the bread and butter rod weight in Florida, where I'm fishing, and a lot of people love the 6wt as a good, light backup rod weight. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!
Ask 10 you’ll get 10 different answers / opinions on this one. I grew up fishing in south Fla but now live in Savannah ga. My go to is always a 7wt. I have the whole quiver but love the 7. Favorite rod has always been the G Loomis 2 piece GLX which is no longer made. The cross current is a good substitute. Also take a look at Scott. I’ve always gravitated to a fast action but again everyone has their preferences.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Unless of course you're like the rest of us and you want one (or more) of everything.
I've never sold one of my rods although I have given a couple away (not counting what I gave my ole man).
AS of today I've one antique, and three vintage rods. I still use two of the vintage rods now and then.
Took me almost thirty years to get all the rods I have today and while they do not get used the same they all have their special places where I get the most enjoyment partly because of the particular rod in hand.

Moral of the story is that I'd keep the 9, as it has a legitimate place for it's use (especially in Florida and the south) and supplant it with what I think would be my next best rod, which down the road I might find that I "need" another one :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts