Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1979 Banana River Skiff (original Super Skiff/Dolphin 16) has survived this long so I figure it is time for a total makeover.  I picked her up in 2010 and she has lots of history and moxie so after some debate I decided to move ahead with a total tear down and restoration project.  It fishes well and gets me where I need to go, but was in need of a total change in the deck layout and a new transom to be practical. It had some old school carpet (which my wife made fun of on every trip) covering resin over marine plywood.  The '97 2-smoke yam 50 has less than 70 hours and runs perfect and I've added a few things since I picked it up; new alum trailer, tabs, poling platform which I plan to clean up and re-use for the project. 

Plans:
Generally looking to do something similar to a old school HB Whip or Devil Ray layout, with a core floor.  Super light, simple and sub 6" on draft.
New transom
New deck with front hatch and walkable side gunnels
Low profile side console like old Whipray
Alum fuel tank
Hydraulic Steering
Ice blue hull and deck and non skid
Aluminum rub rail
I like the blacked out look, but I'm staying with polished hardware for long term durability
Seadeck or similar on the poling platform and new casting platform
All new wiring and electronics

When I picked her up

A few mods later

The demo begins

A few more weeks of demo and itchy fiberglass and then she is off to Glasser for new decks and a new life.  Financially it makes no sense what so ever, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a few years.  I love classics, and want to preserve a little piece of flats boat history.  It will be fun to see how it comes together and catch some fish again!

All for now...

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
Heck yea
cant wait to see what glasser has in store for it.
ive always been a fool for the ice bkue inside anr out

·
Pg native
141 Posts
Financially it makes no sense to own a boat :) but that is a cool looking skiff. Cutting fiberglass is no fun but it sounds like it will turn out great

·
I Love microskiff.com!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow…you've been working. Do you have a sketch of the new deck layout?

I really like that trailer, and will call those guys.
Call Kevin at Sport Trail in Bay St. Louis, Miss.  228-467-1885.  They are very popular on the northern gulf coast and built a nice set up to your specs.  On their Facebook site it showed them making one for an Egret so I guess some boat builders in FL are starting to use them.  Service is top notch.

Thanks for the comments, I've had numerous boats over the years but always dreamed about a simple poling skiff.  I went to look at some skiffs today for ideas and took the wife so we could look at several different levels for finishes side by side and gave her some flats skiff 101.  She obviously loved the Mav 17 HPX until she took a look at the price tag.  She was not sure what I was planning until I showed her Mitzi vs. Mav. vs. Mosquito Bay fit and finish and explained what Glasser could do. 

As far as the deck layout, I'm looking at something like the Shipoke '14 (Now IPB) they started building again a few years ago which is virtually the same hull as mine but its a 14' vs. my 15'9".  I'm going old school on the flat side console, alum tank in the front dry storage with deck hatch and an open rear bulkhead.  I would like to point the rod tips to the stern to avoid crowding the front storage with tubes since that will be my only dry storage.  Thinking about a small crustacean well in the port aft sponson.  Debating if I will put my MinnKota back on the front as I rarely use it, but it would be cool to have for occasional dock fishing for trout and snook at night.  Thinking about electrical system and what I need to account for, but I have a few months to work on that.

Here is generally what I'm thinking for deck layout (minus front hatch):

·
Dieu et les Dames
449 Posts
Glasser is going to make your dreams come true. His work is out of this world. You won't regret taking your skiff to him.

·
01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold
1,363 Posts
79!? :eek:

Are you sure it's a 79? I have heard of these. But never seen one in person. I can't believe they had a boat this bad ass in 79. That predates HB by nearly 20 years. Did Dolphin buy the molds from them? That's crazy to thnk this design was the king of the flats for two decades. The Super skiffs are legends in the Keys. Good move on the deck design. That layout was kinda funky. I would like to know more history and more pics if you have it. I am a junkie for this stuff. :D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
79!? :eek:

Are you sure it's a 79? I have heard of these. But never seen one in person. I can't believe they had a boat this bad ass in 79. That predates HB by nearly 20 years. Did Dolphin buy the molds from them? That's crazy to thnk this design was the king of the flats for two decades. The Super skiffs are legends in the Keys. Good move on the deck design. That layout was kinda funky. I would like to know more history and more pics if you have it. I am a junkie for this stuff. :D
I love classics as well...here is some info From the actual boat builder I found when i researched the skiff a few years back.  Indeed boat title says 1979  ;) and it was definitely ahead of its time.  There is also some interesting history about this skiff in an interview with Scott deal of maverick on skiff republic where he credits this skiff in the development of the modern skiffs we all know today. 

Re: Mitchell skiff project
Reply #51 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:59pm     Howdy fellow skiff lovers -
I am the Dave Exley mentioned above.  A buddy contacted me and directed me to your forum and this thread.  It looks like a really great forum, so I signed in and thought I'd chip in my knowledge.
The Mitchell skiff of this thread is a good little boat and part of it was incorporated in my small Banana River Skiff and Super Skiffs.  Seeing deerfly's photos reminds me of all the fun I've had building small skiffs, and it also makes me itch all under.
About 1976, my wife and I were tent camping at Sandsprit Park in Stuart and I saw an identical 14' Mitchell being hauled out at the boat ramp.  I really liked the forward side flare and generous bow deck.  The owner (wish I could remember his name) generously agreed to let me to make a mold off his boat.  Not wanting to cross Russ Mitchell, I gave him a call and asked permission to splash part of the 14' Mitchell skiff.  Russ laughed and said "Sure, but I don't know who to refer you to because I splashed it off another boat sometime ago and we do so much of that back and forth that I can't remember where that one came from."  So I took that as permission and the fiberglass guys at Stuart Angler in Port Salerno gelcoated and chopped the Mitchell's sides and partway under the rolled chine for me.  So the sides and about 4 inches below the spray rail of the Mitchell became part of the Banana and Super Skiffs. Starting with that that I extended the sides at the back to about 15'6" to 15'10", depending on the iteration, and created the indented transom which formed aft boxes like the Hewes Bonefisher and my bigger 17'10" Super Skiff.
Over the next few years, we squared up the rolled chine, made a version with a 4' wide bottom and another with a 5' wide bottom.
Deep Water Cay Club bought a few of those 5 wides with a balsa cored bottom, then I added the V-bottom to have a more comfortable ride from DWCC to their permit flats, about 10 miles away across an open sound.  A standard forefoot would more easily bury in the sand, so I made the V with a cutaway forefoot and flat shoe so the boat could go in shallower water, then kept the chine level to help with bouyancy.  An unexpected benefit was that level chine stayed underwater when an angler was on the bow and thus eliminated chine slap, creating the silent stalking flats boats seen everywhere today.  I should have patented that.  It was almost 10 years before anyone figured it out, then Scott Deal of Maverick asked for permission to incorporate the level chine design in a new boat he called the Mirage and afterwards others copied it too.  I still respect Scott for asking for permission.
My little company went out of business in the recession of the early 80's (my own fault -- always spending on R&D and not enough $$ cushion.)  I leased the V-bottom molds to my friend Jack Broyl of Dolphin Boats and he eventually bought them from me.  I had been building some custom flat bottom Banana River Skiffs for an aquatic weed control company in Ft Lauderdale and they bought those molds so they could keep making them for their growing business. Every now and then I still see those little boats with spray tanks installed going down the highway.  With those flotation boxes and a tiny outboard on the indented transom, those are ideal for launching off a steep pond bank without flooding the boat.
That's how I remember it and that's enough for now.
Whatever you do, have fun (even when working with fiberglass you can always find something to laugh about!)
Sincerely,
Dave

·
01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold
1,363 Posts
That's what blew my mind! I couldn't believe that sexy of a boat was rolling around in the 70s. When you look at what all the others looked like at the time. And it still looks good-timeless! It's the Cindy Crawford of flats skiffs. I always assumed these were a late 80s creation. My old ass was only five years old when they were making the plug for this thing :D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure about the ghost...?

There are some weed pond skiffs still running around that are a smaller version of the BRS. I see one almost every day on my way to work. As I understand it these molds were sold to the weed pond company that then made them for a while. They are very basic layouts so they could be launched easily from pond banks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the holidays behind us, Glasser is making progress on the skiff!  After grinding the hull they found some thin spots in the bow floor and with the fuel tank and front hatch storage planned up front John suggested putting some additional glass and coring that area.  He is working on the bulkhead layout and deck next.  Stay tuned...

1 - 20 of 201 Posts